Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) are important precepts for Wageningen University & Research. They are expressed in our mission, 'To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life,' and in our ambition to take a leading role in the area of sustainable operational management. In short, Wageningen stands for sustainability.
For instance, in addition to the twenty BSc degrees and 28 MSc degrees we offer, there are a great many PhD students and students of the Lifelong Learning programme studying sustainability. Independent research always has a sustainability component.
WUR is partner of the Wageningen Climate Plan
Wageningen University & Research, together with 18 climate partners, endorses the Wageningen Climate Plan 2017-2021. The purpose is to make major steps in the coming years towards a climate-neutral Wageningen. Many projects are being carried out for this purpose. WUR wants to contribute to the major climate issue and will actively work for this on its own initiative as well as with other partners.
An overview of the results so far:
- In 2016 Wageningen University & Research compensated 80% of its CO2 emissions. Compared to 2010 WUR had 46% fewer CO2 emissions in 2016. A substantial contribution was the generation sustainable wind energy by our windmill parks in Lelystad.
- Wageningen Campus is one of the most sustainable knowledge centres in the Netherlands. Examples are the expansion of thermal storage at Wageningen Campus and the use of stringent sustainability criteria for building construction, maintenance and renovation.
- In the GreenMetric ranking Wageningen University & Research reached in 2016 the 3rd place and is one of the most sustainable universities worldwide.
- Wageningen University wins the SustainaBul Award 2017 and is the most sustainable university in the Netherlands for the fifth year in a row.
- In the Transparancy Benchmark 2016 Wageningen University & Research scores highest from all Dutch universities for the fifth year in a row.
- The Green Man appears regularly at Wageningen Campus to raise as much awareness of sustainability as possible.
- Green Office Wageningen let us keep a sharp focus by posing critical questions about sustainability. Some of the activities are: the Green Teacher Award, Meatless Monday in the restaurants of Wageningen Campus and GreenMatch for sustainable study subjects for students. Each year Green Office organizes the Seriously Sustainable Week.