Building with nature is a concept where nature is used to cope with climate change risks, such as floods, waves and sea level rise. It is also called 'eco-engineering'. In this dossier you can find news, background information and results from scientists of Wageningen University & Research.
An oyster reef to protect the coast, mangroves or willows in front of the dyke. Slowly but surely a new insight is gaining ground: hard civil engineering interventions by themselves are not a panacea. Nature seems willing to help us keep the upper hand over the advancing waves and rising sea levels and provides us new sources of food and income.
- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings
Downloads & Links:
Building with Nature:
- Article online: Nature lends a hand from Wageningen World no. 2 2013
- Flyer: Building with Nature gebruikt de natuur bij waterbouw (in Dutch)
- Flyer: Building with Nature
- Flyer: Voordelig bouwen met de natuur (in Dutch)
- Website: EcoShape – Building with Nature & EcoShape Guideline
Ecological mining pit:
- Website: EcoShape - Ecological mining pit