Are you working in the energy, chemical or biotech industry? The MicroMasters Biobased Sciences for Sustainability will enable you to discover new resources and help your company make the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources. Complete all the MOOCs of the programme and earn a MicroMasters credential that equals 24 ECTS, which you can use for the on-campus master.
Content of the course
The world is moving from using fossil resources to sustainable biobased resources. In this new world, it’s critical to determine if alternative biobased resources have the potential to become truly sustainable and economically viable. For companies in this industry, it’s important to know the challenges that lie ahead.
This MicroMasters programme is intended for those currently working in the energy, chemical and biotech industries. It will focus on the use of chemical and biotechnological approaches for the production of energy-carriers, polymers, chemical building blocks and materials from renewable resources and waste streams.
After successful completion of the programme, you can take your credential to the next level! You can apply for the on-campus Master programme Biobased Sciences. Learn more.
What you will learn
- Understand the challenges of switching from a fossil fuel based economy to a biobased economy.
- Understand how to identify suitable raw materials and create valuable new products.
- Learn how to refine biomass without damaging its valuable components.
- Perform a functional analysis of potential methods that can be used for refining a resource.
- Learn how to efficiently convert biobased feedstocks into desired products.
- Evaluate technological, ethical, societal and economic consequences in the production of biobased products.
- Judge new innovations on their sustainability and business merits.
- Apply the circular economy principles to a process or product chain.