Follow me on:
I am associate professor at the Knowledge, Technology and Innovation Group (formerly Communication and Innovation Studies Group) of Wageningen University, where I have worked since 2002. I hold a MSc in Tropical Agriculture, and a PhD in Communication and Innovation Studies. My research takes place in the realm of agriculture and the life sciences and focuses on three streams:
- development of agricultural research and advisory systems towards socially responsive and demand driven systems: in this line of research I pursue topics such as demand articulation in innovation process to drive research agendas and advisory service provisioning, and learning in networks of advisors.
- dynamics in innovation systems: in this line of research I pursue topics such as conceptual strengthening of the concept of agricultural innovation system, and the topic of agency in innovation systems to bring about radical change through platforms and support networks.
- roles of systemic intermediary organizations and intermediary objects: in this line of research, I pursue topics such as the influence of sectors and national context on the organization of innovation intermediaries, the interaction between innovation intermediaries and innovation champions in innovation networks, the role of intermediary objects (boundary objects) in innovation processes, and the role of intermediaries in connecting research to policy (boundary organizations).
Besides being active in academic research and teaching, my work informs policy makers, through contributions to policy oriented publications and oral presentations for organizations like the World Bank, the European Commission, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), and the United Nations Commission for Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Presentation about changing advisory systems (in Spanish)
Presentation on innovation brokers
Webinar 'Using an innovation systems approach to achieve remarkable change'
- Establishment and embedding of innovation brokers at different innovation system levels: Insights from the Dutch agricultural sector Klerkx, L.; Leeuwis, C. (2009) Technological Forecasting and Social Change 76 (6). - p. 849 - 860.
- Adaptive management in agricultural innovation systems: The interactions between innovation networks and their environment Klerkx, L.; Aarts, N; Leeuwis, C (2010) Agricultural Systems 103 (6). - p. 390 - 400
- The interaction of multiple champions in orchestrating innovation networks: conflicts and complementarities Klerkx, L.; Aarts, N. (2013) Technovation, 33 (6-7), -p. 193-210
- Unravelling the role of innovation platforms in supporting co-evolution of innovation: contributions and tensions in a smallholder dairy development programme Kilelu, C.; Klerkx, L.; Leeuwis, C. (2013) Agricultural Systems, 118. p. 65-77
- RAAIS: Rapid Appraisal of Agricultural Innovation Systems (Part I). A diagnostic tool for integrated analysis of complex problems and innovation capacity Schut, M., Klerkx, L., Rodenburg, J., Kayeke, J., Hinnou, L., Raboanarielina, C.; Adegbolae, P., van Ast, A., Bastiaans, L. (2015) Agricultural Systems 132, -p. 1-11.
Academic social network sites (including links to publications)