Are you a PhD candidate who has not yet met the English-language requirement for admission to the PhD programme? Or do you simply want to improve your academic English skills? Academic English for PhD candidates is for you!
This two-part course is designed to improve your English to the required level for PhD admission.
This course will be offered in collaboration with Wageningen Graduate Schools (WGS).
Academic English for PhD candidates is an intensive 12-week course that improves your academic English (reading, speaking, listening and writing), prepares you for the RATEr (an English proficiency test accepted by WUR) and teaches you the fundamentals of scientific writing.
- Prospective and current PhD candidates who have not yet met the English entry requirement for their PhD programme.
- PhD candidates with a B2- level of English who want an intensive course to improve their English language skills so they can study and work more easily at Wageningen University.
- Improve / Refine your academic reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- Improve your written grammar
- Develop your academic vocabulary to participate more easily in lectures and lab meetings
- Improve the clarity of your accent
- Learn how to put your ideas on paper
- Learn to write structured paragraphs
- Prepare for the RATEr
- Develop general all round communication skills
Part 1, Academic English and pronunciation (week 1 - 8):
- 24 sessions
- Academic English: 4 hours per week (2 2-hour sessions)
- 1 hour per week pronunciation
- 40 contact hours, and 64 self-study hours
Part 2 Scientific/Proposal Writing (week 7 - 12):
- 7 sessions Scientific / Proposal Writing
- 12 contact hours, and 36 self-study hours
When you must still fulfil the English requirements to be admitted to the PhD Programme, you can take the RATEr at the end of the course. If you pass the RATEr, you have met the Graduate Schools’ entry requirement for proficiency in English. More about RATEr >>
Course materials will be distributed during the first session of each part of the course.
Participants must attend 90% of the course sessions and submit all assignments on time to receive a certificate. Course participants who do not meet the attendance requirement will not receive a certificate.
- Academic English for PhD candidates, excluding RATEr + mock exam
- Academic English for PhD candidates, including RATEr + mock exam:
Fee includes study and training material.
- PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK).
- Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools.
- PhDs of the national graduate school SENSE with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP).
- All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff.
- All other participants.
To be admitted to this course, you need to score at least 60 on the Oxford Online Placement Test or have attained an equivalent score on another international test:
1) A score of at least 60 on the Oxford Online Placement Test (click here to make an appointment for this test) or an equivalent score on another international test:
- At least 6.0 on the IELTS exam
- At least grade C on the FCE exam (Cambridge)
- At least 80 on the TOEFL exam (internet-based)
2) An intake interview (15 min) to assess your speaking skills. Speaking level must be at least CEFR B2-. We will contact you to schedule an appointment after you have registered for the course.
3) A writing assignment (40 min). Writing level must be at least CEFR B2-. We will contact you to schedule an appointment after you have registered for the course.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the University fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement. In this case you will only be charged a € 50,- cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree). In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.