Help drive the transition from fossil resources to renewable ones and engineer a biobased future. By the #1 agricultural sciences university. Complete all the MOOCs of the programme and earn a MicroMasters credential that equals 15 ECTS, which you can use for the on-campus Master of Science Biobased Sciences (which normally is a '120 ECTS, 2 year fulltime on-campus programme')
Content of the course
The world is moving from using fossil resources to sustainable biobased ones. In order to be truly sustainable, alternative, biobased resources also need to be economically viable. To be successful, corporations need to be able to navigate the challenges and opportunities in this dynamic field. This MicroMasters Program is intended for those currently working in the energy, chemical and biotech industries and seeking to make a shift to more sustainable practices. It will focus on the use of chemical and biotechnological approaches for the production of energy-carriers, polymers, chemical building blocks and materials from renewable resources and waste streams.
Completion of this MicroMasters Program in Chemistry and Technology for Sustainability will enable you to discover new resources and help your company make the switch from fossil to renewable, biobased resources. You can apply for the on-campus Master programme Biobased Sciences. Learn more about this programme.
What you will learn
- Understand the challenges of switching from a fossil source-based economy to a biobased economy.
- Understand how to identify suitable raw materials and create valuable new products.
- Learn how to refine biomass without damaging its valuable components.
- Perform a functional analysis of potential methods that can be used for refining a resource.
- Learn how to efficiently convert biobased feedstocks into desired products.
- Evaluate technological, ethical, societal and economic consequences in the production of biobased products.