Follow me on:
Mirjam Pulleman - Biography
Senior Soil Scientist, Wageningen University and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), based in Colombia.
My research focuses on the role of soils and soil processes for sustainable agroecosystems and food safety. This includes the development of knowledge on biological soil processes and soil functions, and of indicators that can be applied to inform management practices that can enhance soil health and ecosystem services in agroecosystems and landscapes.
In recent years I have been working mostly on perennial crops, agroforestry and silvopastoral systems, with research spanning from greenhouse studies, to experimental farms and use of participatory on-farm methodologies. I have experience working in Europe, Africa and Latin America, including Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru and Paraguay.
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands MSc. Physcial Geography (1996)
- Wageningen University, Netherlands. PhD. Soil Ecology (2002)
- 2014-present. Senior Scientist. Agroecosystems and Sustainable Landscapes Research Area, International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), Colombia.
- 2010-present: Senior Scientist. Soil Biology Group. Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- 2008-2012: Science Officer DIVERSITAS agroBIODIVERSITY network. Wageningen University and DIVERSITAS International.
- 2006-2010: Postdoctoral researcher, Soil Biology and Biological Soil Quality, Wageningen University. The Netherlands.
- 2006-2008: Associate Scientist, Natural Resource Management, International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), Mexico.
- 2004-2006: Postdoctoral Fellow, Natural Resource Management. CIMMYT, Mexico.
- 2002-2004: Researcher, Soils and Landscapes. Alterra, Wageningen University and Research, The Netherlands
- 2001-2002: Project coordinator, National Monitoring Network on Water Quality. RIVM, The Netherlands.
- 1997-2001: PhD candidate. Department of Geology and Soil Science. Wageningen University & Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory. Colorado State University, USA