Who can apply for a visa and residence permit?
The Doctoral Service Centre can arrange a visa and residence permit for a PhD candidate if:
- The PhD candidate has been admitted to the WU PhD programme (diplomas or qualifying exam have been approved and proficiency in the English language is considered sufficient);
- The PhD candidate comes without a family;
- The PhD candidate has a scholarship or own financing for living allowances of at least the amount that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service requires. This amount is adjusted twice a year on 1 January and 1 July and is € 1509,-/month between 1 July and 1 January 2024;
- The PhD candidate is not employed by WUR;
- The PhD candidate stays for a period longer than 3 months.
When to apply for a residence permit (and entry visa)
The Doctoral Service Centre can apply for a residence permit (and entry visa) if a contact person from the chair group sends a complete submission to the Doctoral Service Centre at the latest 11 weeks before the intended start of the visa.
The visa costs are € 207,-. These and any other additional costs related to the migration will be passed on to the chair group.
How to apply
A contact person from the chair group sends all documents stated below in one email to the Doctoral Service Centre via email@example.com.
During the course of the application procedure, the PhD candidate and the applicant will receive information and instructions from the Doctoral Service Centre.
(NOTE: all documents that must be signed by the PhD candidate must be checked for the right signature. The signature must be the same as on the passport)
- The forms antecedents certificate, permission to use personal details and information form PhD candidates filled in by the candidate;
- The information form chair group filled in by the contact person from the chair group;
- A clear scan of the passport (with signature, personal details page and stamped pages). The passport must still be valid for at least 6 months when the Doctoral Service Centre submits the application to the IND.;
- The signed form: Hosting agreement Doctoral Service Centre. Please see the instruction. Voor meer informatie over het toepassen 'kassier' voor beursgelden van externe beursverstrekkers aan PhD kandidaten zie de intranetpagina Promovendibeleid;
Proof of sufficient finances for the requested period of residence consisting of:
If you have any questions, please contact the Doctoral Service Centre via firstname.lastname@example.org.