Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) outgoing students

General questions

How do I organise my exchange?

For study exchange, you need to be selected and nominated first by one of the WUR Exchange Coordinators. Go to Organizing your exchange period for study for more information.

Internships and theses abroad need to be arranged by students themselves. After that, you can apply for an Erasmus+ Grant. See: Erasmus+ grants for internship & thesis for general information, and go to Erasmus+ application to download the application documents.

To which universities can I go on exchange?

You can find the the contracts WUR has with partner universities in this list. Make sure your study field is included in the contract as well. At our Partner Universities page you can find more information per university.

Is it possible to go on exchange to a university that is not a partner of Wageningen University?

In short: no. Some universities accept ‘free movers’ or ‘contract students’, but the exchange office is not involved in those procedures and in most cases students would have to pay fees to the guest university.

For thesis however it might be possible to do research at a non-partner university. In that case the WUR Exchange Coordinator will not be involved and you can apply for an Erasmus+ grant for traineeship.

What are the deadlines?

We made an overview of the deadlines on the right side of this page.

Are the credits I earn valid for my curriculum?

The credits are transferable if you go on exchange to a partner university. But be aware that courses not followed at WUR (including minors etc.) require prior approval from your study advisor and from the Examining Board of Wageningen University, in order to count as part of your study programme. Since credit and grading systems differ among countries and between universities, the results you obtain with external courses will need to be converted in order to fit in the credit and grading system used by Wageningen University, this will be done by the Examining Board of Wageningen University. You can find information about how to get your electives approved via the PlanApp here: How to plan electives from another university? | Osiris - Student information, course enrollment, study progress | Student Support (

What is the mimimum amount of ECTS I have to earn at the guest university?

We expect you to follow at least ¾ of the regular number of credits, in case of a semester this is 22.5 ECTS. It's also possible to follow a bit more, up to around 35 ECTS. Discuss the planning of your study and credits with your study advisor.

We expect students to be present at the classes and exams and to put effort in their study during their exchange. If you fail a course however, normally this will not have consequences for your Erasmus+ grant.

How do I select courses at the host university?

Follow the instructions given to you by the host university. Most universities will have their courses published on their website. If you have trouble finding courses, ask the WUR Exchange Coordinators and your contact at the host university for advise.

Can I change the courses during my exchange?

If you want to change courses after starting your exchange already, please contact both exchange coordinators and make sure they approve that. After that, make sure to register the changes in your Learning Agreement via Osiris.

How about tuition fees?

If you go on exchange to one of our partner universities, you do not have to pay tuition fees at the partner university. You do need to be registered as a full time student and pay tuition fee at Wageningen University.

However, fees for e.g. visas can be charged and need to be covered by the student. Note: if you go study abroad at a university which is not a partner of WUR, you probably do have to pay tuition fees!

Is the programme available to students with special needs?

We encourage students with special needs to apply for study exchange. Students with a disadvantaged background due to economic or medical reasons can apply for a monthly top-up (extra grant money) of the Erasmus+ grant. Also, Erasmus+ can provide compensation for extra made costs due to special needs. You can apply for the monthly top-up by checking the applicable box at the Grant Agreement; please note that proof documents will be required. If you need to make any costs due to special needs (like buying adjusted equipement), please inquire with us prior to making the purchase about the possibilties for reimbursement by sending an e-mail to

Can I go to my country of origin?

It is possible to do a mobility period (study or internship) in your country of origin as an Erasmus+ student, provided that your country of origin is not the country you normally study and live in. As long as you are officially a WUR student, you can go to all countries. So, if you are a Spanish WUR student, you can get an Erasmus+ grant if you go for exchange or thesis/internship to Spain. For non-EU countries however, we do not provide an Erasmus+ grant to students going to their country of origin.

Can I apply for a NL Scholarship?

The NL Scholarship is available for students of Wageningen University who want to study, do research or an internship outside of Europe. This scholarship can be combined with the Erasmus+ grant. It is recommendable to apply for both, if you comply with the requirements. The selection for the NL Scholarship is not done by the Exchange Office. Have a look at the NL Scholarship for outgoing students webpage for more information.

How about my OV student rights?

You can get a reimbursement for not using your OV-card if you study (or do an internship) abroad. Make sure you hand in the forms at DUO two months before departure. Please prefill the forms as much as you can, after that you can get a signature either by visiting the student desk on the ground floor of Forum building, or by e-mailing your forms to

How about insurance?

Travel insurance

Wageningen University & Research has arranged a collective continuous travel insurance agreement for study related travels of WUR students. Please note that you do need to have travel permission of WUR. This insurance covers a maximum travel period of 365 days, includes insurance of luggage (also in case of theft) and accidents and is subject to terms and conditions.

Students are also covered by the collective travel insurance when travelling for holidays before, during of after the exchange, but only when travelling in the same country as their exchange destination. In case you wish to travel to other countries as well, make sure to have a complementary travel insurance for those periods.

You can request a personalized insurance certificate by e-mailing the following details to

  • You are a WUR student
  • Reason for the trip
  • Full name in passport of traveller
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Home Country
  • Country of destination
  • Start date of the trip
  • End date of the trip

It is recommended to download the AIG Travelcard and a Claim form before you leave. You can find more information via the WUR webpage about insurances.

Health insurance

Check with your current insurance company if your stay abroad is covered (note a difference between EU and world insurance). Ensure that you are clear about your coverage. Be clear about claim procedures – do you pay upfront, what percentage, are there co-payments, et cetera.

Liability insurance

Liablity insurances are offered by all big insurance companies, and cover costs for damage you might cause at other people. The liability insurance should be arranged indivually by the students. Do check however if you're not covered yet by your parent's insurance (this is possible for children until 23 or 27 years old).

If you do not have a liability insurance yet, we strongly encourage you to take one, as they normally are not so expensive and could save you a lot of money and trouble.

Questions about Erasmus+

What are the requirements to apply for the Erasmus grant?

Study exchange: you can apply for Erasmus+ grant after we have nominated you for an exchange period at one of the partner universities.

Internship/thesis: to apply for Erasmus+ grant (financial support), you need to fulfill the requirements, which you can find here: Requirements for Erasmus+ grant for internship.

Additional requirements for Erasmus+ grant applications for non-EU countries can be found here: Erasmus+ grants for internship & thesis with a non-EU destination.

I go on exchange to a non-EU destination. Can I apply for an Erasmus+ grant?

Students going for study exchange to countries outside of Europe can apply for an Erasmus+ grant. Please note though, that the amount of months of grant that you can receive, is limited. Students going for an internship/thesis in a non-EU country can apply in some cases for an Erasmus+ grant. Go to Erasmus+ grants for internship & thesis with a non-EU destination for more information.

I go on exchange to Switzerland. Can I apply for an Erasmus+ grant?

Students going to Switzerland to study at a Swiss university, are excluded from Erasmus+, since they can apply for the Movetia grant through the Swiss university. If you are going to Switzerland for an internship or thesis however, and you and you do not apply for Movetia, it is possible to apply for Erasmus+. The grant amount per month is the same as the amount for 'Programme countries with higher living standards (Group 1)'.

I go on exchange to the United Kingdom. Can I apply for an Erasmus+ grant?

Yes, you can apply for an Erasmus+ grant. Depending on the period you are going, it might be possible your grant will be limited to a maximum amount of months, since the UK is considered as non-EU. The grant amount per month is the same as the amount for 'Programme countries with higher living standards (Group 1)'.

How can I apply for the Erasmus+ grant?

Study exchange: on this page you can find all information about the application process to apply for an Erasmus+ exchange and an Erasmus+ grant for study.

Internship/thesis: on this page you can find the procedure and the forms you need to fill in to apply for an Erasmus+ grant for internship or thesis abroad.

Is the Erasmus+ grant a guarantee?

No, the grant is never guaranteed, since it depends on the budget and the number of applications. But generally speaking, we will allocate you the Erasmus+ grant as long as you meet the requirements and send your documents in time.

How much is the grant?

Depending on the living standards of the country you are going to the monthly grant differs. When doing an internship/thesis you receive an addition. Regularly the amount of grant changes. Although we try to keep the overview as updated as possible, please take the following amounts only as a guideline.

The start and end date of the exchange are not published yet at the host university's website; what do I fill in on the GA?

We calculate the total grant amount based on the start and end date of your Grant Agreement. As start date, take the the first day of class. End date is the date of the last exam. Don't forget to mention as well on the GA if you intend to follow introductions days or a language course prior to the mobility; those days can be added to the exchange duration so that you will receive grant for a longer period. If you cannot find the dates online, e-mail your contact at the host university to ask. Generally speaking it's better to take a bit too wide range than too narrow, as it will be easier to limit your total grant amount a bit than to extend it. At the end of your exchange, we will compare the dates of your GA to the dates confirmed by the host university on the Statement Receiving Institution (SRI), and we will recalculate your grant amount if needed. Note that extending the Erasmus+ grant is only possible if the extension is requested at least 1 month before the initial end date by e-mailing to

What is the difference between the Online Learning Agreement (OLA) and the Learning Agreement (LA)?

'OLA' stands for 'Online Learning Agreement'. It is only used for study exchange, not for traineeships. Most universities in the EU are connected via the Online Learning Agreement platform, but not all. You can fill in and submit your Learning Agreement via Osiris Student > Learning Agreement. For instructions, have a look at the Erasmus+ application webpage.

Make sure you fill in the correct e-mail address of the coordinator at the host university, as the platform will send automatic notification e-mails to them requesting a signature.

The Learning Agreement needs to be approved both by Wageningen University and the receiving university.

What do I fill in at Recognition by the home university (Table B) of the (Online) Learning Agreement?

At the moment, it's not possible to fill in this part of the Learning Agreement. You can leave it empty.

What is the deadline for submitting the Learning Agreement?

We need your LA no later than the start date of your exchange and preferably at least 1 month in advance. The sooner both universities approve it, the sooner we will be able to pay you the first part of your Erasmus+ grant.

I want to extend my exchange. Is that possible?

If you want to extend your exchange with more than five days, you have to inform the Exchange Office (, and for study exchange also your WUR Exchange Coordinator, at least one month before the initial end date of your exchange. An extension must also be discussed with the coordinator of the host university. If everyone agrees with the extension, you can make changes to your Learning Agreement via Osiris (make sure to insert your new end date. Your adjusted Learning Agreement needs to be approved by WUR and the receiving institution again.

I am going abroad for my thesis. For which Erasmus+ grant should I apply (study or traineeship)?

When you are nominated for your exchange period at one of our partner universities (by your exchange coordinator), you need to fill in the study forms and check the 'Study' box at your Grant Agreement. If you have arranged the thesis independent from the exchange coordinator, you need to fill in the internship forms and check the 'Traineeship embedded in the curriculum' box on the Grant Agreement.

Will I receive the grant per month or all at once?

When we have approved your Erasmus+ grant application, you will receive 70% of the amount before your exchange and 30% after your exchange upon successful completion of all the forms.

When can I expect the Erasmus+ grant to be deposited to my bank account?

Normally, we will confim you by e-mail when your Erasmus+ application is complete. After that, within about six weeks you will receive an e-mail confirming you will receive the first payment of your grant. It may take up to two weeks after that message before you receive the money on your bank account. So please take into account that it can take up to 8 weeks in total before you receive the money on your bank account.

I am going abroad for my internship and I would like to apply for an Erasmus+ grant. However, I missed the deadline of June 1st/November 1st that is on your website.

This deadline only applies for students who are going abroad for STUDY (so who are taking courses or are writing their thesis at one of our partner universities). If you are going abroad for INTERNSHIP, you need to submit your forms one month before the start of your internship.

Can I apply for an Erasmus+ grant for an internship on Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao/St. Eustatius/St. Maarten/ Saba?

Unfortunately that's not possible, as these countries/territories are part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Go to Overseas Countries and Territories for an overview of countries and territories associated with the European Union.

Questions about top-ups

What is a top-up?

A top-up is extra money you can receive on top of your monthly Erasmus+ grant amount. You can apply for a montly top-up (250 EUR/month) for inclusion due to economic reasons or for medical reasons, and/or for a one-time green travel top-up (50 EUR and maximum 2 funded travel days).

How do I apply for a top-up for economic reasons?

Students who receive an 'aanvullende beurs' from DUO can apply for a top-up for economic reasons. When filling in the Grant Agreement, you can check the box 'I wish to apply for a top-up for inclusion due to economic reasons'. Make sure to check the box 'I have added prove of receiving the ‘aanvullende beurs’  from DUO' as well. Go to 'Mijn DUO' and download proof you receive the 'aanvullende beurs'. Attach this file to your e-mail when you send us your Grant Agreement.

Guidance for the DUO download: make sure your pdf download shows a blue bar on top that states: 'This file claims compliance with the PDF/A standard and has been opened read-only to prevent modification'. If it doesn't show the statement, try this:

1. dowload the free Adobe Acrobat Reader;

2. go to edit>preferences>documents and make sure that at 'view mode PDF/A' you choose 'Only for PDF/A documents'.

3. open the document with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I used to receive 'aanvullende beurs' from DUO, but I don't receive it anymore, can I still apply for the top-up?

Yes, you can still apply. In that case, download the most recent proof from Mijn DUO and send it to us.

How do I apply for a top-up for medical reasons?

Students who are in contact with the WUR Student Deans and who have a provision registered in Osiris, can apply for a top-up for inclusion due to medical reasons. Medical reasons can be for example: dyslexia, autism, physical disabilities, chronic diseases or conditions (mental or physical). Make sure you are in contact with the Student Deans ( and open a 'case' in Osiris.

In the Grant Agreement, check the box 'I wish to apply for a top-up for inclusion due to studying with a disability or for medical reasons' and also make sure to check the box 'I give permission to the Exchange Team to contact the Student Deans to check if there is an adjustment/provision based on a medical statement.'

We will let you know if when the top-up is approved.

How do I apply for the top-up for Green Travel?

Students who applied for Erasmus+ and travel to their exchange destination by train, bus, shared car or other sustainable means of transport, can apply for a one-time bonus of 50 EUR, plus a maximum of four funded travel days. Note that boat trips are not considered 'green transport'.

In order to apply, send us your 'Declaration of honour' plus a copy of your ticket (in case of carpooling, gas tickets should be included). Go to our green travel webpage for more information.

Questions about language courses and tests

The host university asks me to provide them with proof of my language proficiency. How do I arrange that?

When you got selected for study exchange, we provided you with a confirmation letter which also contains a statement about your English language proficiency. Most universities will accept this statement as sufficient proof. If it is not accepted or, for example, you need proof of your Spanish language level instead, you will have to take another test. Most likely, the free OLS Placement test will not be accepted as proof. Inquire with the host university which language tests they find acceptable. The WUR Exchange Coordinators can advise you as well.

In which language do I need to take the OLS Placement test?

For the OLS Placement test, choose the language in which you will follow the courses at the host university. So for example, if you're going to an Italian university but will follow the courses in English, take the English Placement test.

I already have a certificate from a previous language test, do I still need to take the OLS Placement test?

Yes. Unless you will follow the courses abroad in your mother language, you will need to take the OLS Placement test. This is a requirement for your Erasmus+ application, even if you have for example a Cambridge or TOEFL certifcate.

Is the OLS language course compulsory as well?

No, you are free to choose if you wish to follow the OLS language course or not.

Can I receive compensation for the language course I wish to follow abroad?

You cannot receive compensation for a language course itself, but you can receive Erasmus+ grant during the days you will follow the language course. This only applies if you follow the language course in the host country prior to the start of the courses abroad or internship. If you will follow a language courses during the semester or internship, it is not relevant for your grant application.