The NL Scholarship (formerly known as Holland Scholarship) for outgoing students is made available by the Dutch Ministry of Education Culture and Science together with Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. It is meant for students who want to study, do research or an internship in a non-European country.
Are you already studying at Wageningen University? Are you thinking of studying, or doing research or an internship outside of Europe? Then expand your horizon and make yourself stand out with more international experience.
Apply for the NL Scholarship!
The NL Scholarship is available for students of Wageningen University who want to study, do research or an internship outside of Europe.
The scholarship amounts to a one-off payment which is meant as a contribution towards your study expenses.
Please note that the amounts can differ per academic year.
Rounds 1 & 2 of the academic year 2023/2024: € 1250
Rounds 1 & 2 of the academic year 2024/2025: € 2500
- You are enrolled for a full-time programme at Wageningen University during your study, internship or research abroad.
- You will use the scholarship for studying, doing research or an internship with a minimum duration of 3 months and a minimum of 15 ECTS.
- Your study, research or internship will take place in a non-European country.
- Students with a GPA above 80% are encouraged to apply.
- In case of research or internship, you need to provide a proof of acceptance. If a scholarship is granted, awardees will receive more information on where and how to submit this proof.
How to apply
You need to apply for the NL Scholarship at Wageningen University.
Outgoing students who are leaving in the first semester of the academic year (between August 15 and January 8), can apply for this scholarship during the first round. The application deadline is May 1.
Outgoing students who are leaving in the second semester of the academic year (between January 8 and August 15), can apply for this scholarship during the second round. The deadline for round 2 is January 1.
The semesters which are mentioned above are corresponding with semester at Wageningen University. If you go abroad to one of the following countries the first semester can start earlier than August 15:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Countries in South America
In this case you can fill in the application form for the first semester and we will take the earlier start of the semester abroad into account.
You can find information about the NL Scholarship on https://www.wilweg.nl/financien/beursopener/nl-scholarship-voorheen-holland-scholarship (in Dutch).
The WilWeg website contains a range of information about studying, doing research or internships abroad in general. So if you want to read testimonials of Dutch students who have gone abroad, then checkwww.wilweg.nl(in Dutch).