Healthcare Insurance

Healthcare Insurance

In order to be registered as a student at Wageningen University, one must have a healthcare insurance valid in the Netherlands:

- Statutory Basic Healthcare Insurance (basiszorgverzekering);
- EU Health Insurance Card;
- Private Healthcare Insurance.

Which type of healthcare insurance is needed depends on:
- nationality;
- purpose of stay;
- age;
- length of stay.

Dutch students (aged 18 years or older) are obliged to take out the Basic Healthcare Insurance. Besides the standard package, students may decide to take out supplementary insurance. Information about the health insurance system can be found here.

International students must be adequately insured against medical expenses while staying in the Netherlands. This is not only a condition in order to obtain a temporary residence permit, but also an obligation for students who do not need a residence permit. As a consequence, international students who do not have an EU Health Insurance Card must obtain insurance upon arrival in the Netherlands. Information about the European Health Insurance Card can be found at the website of NUFFIC as mentioned below. Information about what type of insurance an international student needs can be found on this website.

Information is also available at the Student Service desk in the FORUM.
International students with no EU Health Insurance Card who do not need to take out the Statutory Basic Healthcare Insurance, can sign up for a student health insurance through the Student Service Centre of Wageningen University. This insurance, ICS certificate, is offered by AON Consultants. For conditions and extent of coverage please see here. The student is of course free to take out any other private healthcare insurance.

Students who are obliged to take out the Basic Healthcare Insurance can choose between the various healthcare insurance companies in the Netherlands. If you already have an AON student health insurance you can contact AON to change this insurance into a Basic Healthcare Insurance.

Wageningen University has a contract with the insurance company IAK for a collective healthcare insurance for students falling under the new Health Insurance Act.

For more information about the collective insurance check the website of IAK or contact IAK by phone: 040 2611831
The collectivity number is 1610.

Most students requiring basic healthcare insurance will be eligible for the healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag). You may not apply for healthcare allowance when you are in the Netherlands for study purposes only. In two cases you are eligible to apply for healthcare allowance:

1. You are studying in the Netherlands and you are 30 years or older

2. You are studying in the Netherlands and you have a job. In this case a basic health insurance is obligatory. Check the AON website.

For more information about  health care allowance check the information on the Tax office website.

Collective Travel Insurance
Students participating in internships and/or conducting thesis work abroad as part of their study programme at the University are covered by the collective travel insurance of Wageningen University. The costs of this travel insurance are paid for by Wageningen University. The travel insurance is in force as long as the travel duration is not longer than 365 days and the students are enrolled at WU as students. The general terms and conditions for this insurance are available for view at the desk of the Student Service Centre (SSC).

Other Insurance
In addition to health insurance, it is also advisable to have insurance for:
- accidental death and dismemberment;
- individual liability for damage caused to others (the latter is known in Dutch as Aansprakelijkheid voor Particulierenverzekering);
- personal property (loss of household contents or baggage through e.g. theft or fire);
- S.O.S. assistance: costs of repatriation due to serious illness or death, if not included in the health - insurance or travel insurance. Such insurance pays for special transportation and/or medical care during repatriation and often also the airfare for a family member.

Policies for these types of insurance are available from all insurance companies. In the earlier mentioned ICS insurance package for international students, these categories are included. More information about conditions and extent of coverage can be found at this website.