Are you a professional in the food industry and do you want to strengthen your expertise and knowledge about food quality?
In this online master's course we will study quantitative analysis of food quality and modelling. Since this online course is part-time, you will be able to combine study and work and enhance your career.
Content of the course
The focus of this online master's course Predicting Food Quality - Solving Food Science Problems by Modelling lies on analysis, evaluation and solution of problems related to food quality. This is done by mathematical modelling of existing food science problems from taken scientific literature. Knowledge from the various food science disciplines need to be integrated to use quantitative modelling tools to predict quality attributes of foods as well as the uncertainties therein.
The online master's course consists of online knowledge clips, tutorials and feedback clips. Furthermore it includes guided practical training on applying models using Excel and case studies to apply modelling for food science problems from literature. Information will be made available via Brightspace. A textbook is available for additional background reading, but it is not necessary to buy the textbook (M.A.J.S. van Boekel, Kinetic modelling of reactions in foods. CRC/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, 2008).
What you will learn
- Explain and infer the nature of food quality attributes in relation to food quality.
- Classify and infer food quality attribute changes from thermodynamic and kinetic principles.
- Calculate uncertainties in parameters and predictions in case of kinetic models.
- Practice with the nature and properties of mathematical equations relevant for food quality.
- Deduce models, parameters and model predictions and their uncertainties;
- Assess competing models on their ability to predict.
- Appraise models on food quality that are applied in food science literature.
When you want to learn more about food processing, other courses are interesting for you too! You can deepen your knowledge in a specific career field, without following a complete master's programme. You can register for any combination, but these are our suggestions:
- Predicting Food Quality - Theoretical Principles of Modelling (strongly recommended)
- Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing - Flow and Pinch Analysis
- Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing - Exergy Analysis
After completion of two or more online master's courses there is a unique opportunity to apply what you have learned. You can start a capstone project in consultation with a Wageningen expert in the field. It is a tailor-made project, where you will write a short paper about your results and conclusions. During this work you will be coached by the expert. Price: €1,230,-.
Level of knowledge
Admission to the course requires a level of education in Food Science and Technology or related, such as Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology. Relevant work experience can be considered.
The language of instruction of this online master's course is in English. Admission to the course requires a level of English as defined at the website for Dutch nationals, EU nationals or nationals outside EU/EFTA respectively.
You can complete the online master's course(s) with an exam (not obligatory). If you don’t complete the course with an exam or if you do not pass the exam successfully, you can ask for a certificate of attendance. When you successfully complete the course and the exam, you are entitled to a certificate of successful completion. The certificate is included in the course price.
- Exam: 27 January 2022
- Resit exam: between 28 February 2022 and 6 March 2022
Meet the instructor