The Sino-Dutch Agriculture Green Development PhD Program (the AGD-PhD Program) is proposed to be established jointly by China Agricultural University (CAU) and Wageningen University (WU). It’s not only and education and research base between CAU and WU, but also a Chinese and Dutch communication and collaboration platform for agricultural education and science. This program has been approved by the China Scholarship Council (CSC) for the first round implementation with three years of student admission from the year 2019 to 2021, and is calling for 6 PhD candidates who will receive their PhD degree from WU to start in 2020.
We are looking for candidates, who have
- Chinese nationality;
- an MSc degree in the field of Resources and Environmental Sciences (Plant Nutrition, Environmental Sciences), Plant Sciences (Crop cultivation and tillage, Crop physiology, Crop production), Animal Science (Animal Nutrition, Feed Sciences) or Food Sciences (Agricultural Economics and management, Industrial Economics) (detailed topics and requirements are listed in Appendix 1);
- completed their MSc education in English, or meet both WU’s and CSC’s requirements with regard to English proficiency:https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/PhD-Programme/English-language-requirements.htm
- the appropiate background, skills and competencies as listed per project in appendix 1.
Documents required (all the documents should be merged to one pdf file):
- CV in both Chinese and English (Appendix 2);
- Certificates of bachelor and master degrees and transcripts (New MSc graduates should prepare a certification for the deadlines of master degrees being awarded before July 1, 2020 );
- Language Proofs: valid TOEFL or IELTS Proof in two years, or other proofs as WUR and CSC required (https://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/PhD-Programme/English-language-requirements.htm; https://www.csc.edu.cn/article/1473)
- Two reference letters in your applied field;
- Abstract of your MSc dissertations in both Chinese and English;
- Copies of publications, awards, patents;
- Copies of ID;
After applying, a motivation letter in which you explain 1) which project you are applying to 2) why you want to apply for the specific research proposal, and 3) why your background and skills fit with what is required for that project will be asked
Please submit all the documents required by the deadline of March 31th, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title “name_1+3”.
Evaluation and Admission
- 1st selection: the program office will check the qualifications of the applications;
- 2nd selection: Interviews (screen interview) by the joint CAU and WU supervisory team three weeks after the 1st selection;
- Admission is determined by the academic committee including the appointment of the CAU and WUR supervisors.
Education and training
The AGD-PhD program research topics will be conducted around China’s agriculture green development, and all the AGD-PhD candidates will be supervised by supervisors from both CAU and WU. A four-year education and training procedure was designed for the PhD candidates, one year at CAU and three years at WU.
The Scholarships include:
- A living allowance during the stay in the Netherlands (in reference to the CSC standards of the year, about 1300 EUR/month), including livings, accommodations and Insurance, etc.;
- a return flight from CAU to WU;
Coordinator: Ms. Ying Zhang (CAU)
the AGD-CSC office, China Agricultural University