We are looking for
We are looking for a PhD-candidate in the field of quantitative veterinary epidemiology. Our previous theoretical research has shown how genetic selection against endemic infections can be done and how it would lead to reduced transmission at the farm level, potentially leading to local eradication. In this PhD-project, you will focus on the case of Mycobacterium avium Paratuberculosis (MAP) in the Dutch dairy cattle population. The aim is to investigate the potential for (local) eradication of MAP in Dutch herds, using a combination of transmission modelling, statistical data analysis and quantitative genetics.
You will analyse the transmission of MAP using big data from routine MAP evaluations of Dutch herds. This includes connecting the transmission of MAP to whole-genome genotypes of the cows, allowing for genomic prediction.
- Based on the results of the analysis, you will develop quantitative models to predict the outcome of genetic and management interventions that aim to reduce the prevalence of MAP. These models will be founded in earlier theoretical work done at QVE-ABG.
- In the project, you will also collaborate with researchers in Ireland and Scotland.
- an MSc degree in animal sciences with a specialization in quantitative veterinary epidemiology.
- a strong background in the quantitative modelling of transmission of infectious diseases in livestock, ideally including survival of the pathogen in the environment and analysis of risk factors.
- a keen interest in quantitative modelling, statistical data analysis, and development of quantitative methods in epidemiology, as demonstrated by a high quality MSc thesis.
- international experience.
- excellent English language proficiency (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation / holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
We offer a temporary contract for 18 months which will be extended for the duration of the project if you perform well. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 16th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research's International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
Do you want more information?
For more information about this position, please contact either prof. Mart de Jong (+31 (0) 317 482335; email@example.com), or dr Piter Bijma (+31 317 482731, firstname.lastname@example.org ).
For more information about the procedure, please contact Ine van 't Land, email@example.com.
Do you want to apply?
You can apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter, using the apply button on the vacancy page on our website which will allow us to process your personal information with your approval.
This vacancy will be listed up to and including 09 July 2022.
We hope to schedule the first job interviews in July 2022. The preferred starting date for this position is 01-09-2022.
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) employs a large number of people with very different backgrounds and qualities, who inspire and motivate each other. We want every talent to feel at home in our organisation and be offered the same career opportunities. We therefore especially welcome applications from people who are underrepresented at WUR. For more information please go to our inclusivity page. A good example of how WUR deals with inclusiveness can be read on the page working at WUR with a functional impairment.
Wageningen University & Research
The mission of Wageningen University and Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment.
With its roughly 30 branches, 7.200 employees and 13.200 students, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. An integrated approach to problems and the cooperation between various disciplines are at the heart of Wageningen’s unique approach. WUR has been named Best Employer in the Education category for 2019-2020.
These are the points our employees list as good reasons to come work at WUR: read the 5 reasons to come work at WUR
We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.