Admittance criteria WIMEK for chair groups and fellows.
Admittance criteria for chair groups
The SENSE Board has decided that all participating chair groups should be evaluated at least “good” on the criteria “scientific quality” and “scientific productivity” in the latest external review (assessment of research quality) to become a full SENSE member. If a research group does not meet these criteria and if there are no extraordinary circumstances (for instance: a new chair holder has just been installed), the research group will be downgraded to an associated SENSE membership. The full membership can only be recovered after a positive external evaluation of the chair group after a period of 3 or 6 years.
Admittance criteria for WIMEK fellows
SENSE has developed a set of performance criteria for staff members. The so called ‘SENSE Benchmarks’ are valid for the period 2007-2013.
SENSE grants credit points for:
- Authors of scientific books (with more than 80 pages), articles in scientific journals and chapters in scientific books;
- Editors , namely editors-in-chief of a journal, editors of special issues and editors of books; Promotors , co-promotors and PhD candidates for the successful defence of a doctoral dissertation.
Each author or editor of a publication receives the same credit points.
SENSE distinguishes between A, B, and C journals:
- An ‘A journal’ is a journal listed in the Web of Science (ISI) that belongs to the top 25% of all journals in any ISI domain, ranked according to citation impact factor.
- A ‘B journal’ is any other journal listed in the Web of Science.
- A ‘C journal’ is any other journal that maintains a professional system of peer review.
The list of ISI journals including impact factors, journal ranking per domain and quartile ranking is available on the SENSE website and is updated every year. See: SENSE quality & criteria
As for books, SENSE distinguishes between A, B, and C publishers:
- ‘A publishers’ are the world top of publishers,
- ‘B publishers’ are the world’s semi-top of publishers,
- ‘C publishers’ are other scientific publishers.
The current list of publishers is available on the SENSE website. The list will be updated yearly. See: SENSE quality & criteria
SENSE members are expected to achieve 8 credit points per year, measured on average over three years and based on a full-time position. For part-time positions — including maternity or paternity leave — the benchmark is adjusted accordingly.
SENSE will assess the research output of all SENSE members in the upcoming period twice, 2010 and 2013 (the latter one in the context of the overall external evaluation of SENSE).