Extension residence permit
Are you employed by Wageningen University & Research or did you bring your family to the Netherlands? Then contact the website of the Welcome Center Food Valley to arrange the extension of your residence permit.
Are you a scholarship PhD candidate and are you in the Netherlands without a family? Then read the information below to extend your residence permit.
Who can apply for an extension of the residence permit?
The PhD office can arrange an extension of a residence permit for a PhD candidate if:
- The PhD candidate has a scholarship or own financing for living allowances of at least the amount that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service requires. This amount is adjusted twice a year on 1 January and 1 July and is € 1463,-/month between 1 January and 30 June 2023;
- The PhD candidate is not employed by WUR;
When to apply for an extension of a residence permit?
The PhD office can extend your residence permit if a contact person from your chair group sends a complete submission to the PhD office at the latest 6 weeks before the current residence permit ends.
If you have the plan to travel immediately after the start date of the extension of the residence permit, please note that the application must be submitted to us at latest 10 weeks before the start date, otherwise it could be that the residence permit card is not ready before departure.
The costs for extension of the residence permit are € 207,-. These costs will be passed on to the chair group.
How to apply
A contact person from the chair group sends all documents stated below in one email to the PhD Office via PhD.firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the course of the application procedure, the PhD candidate and the applicant will receive information and instructions from the PhD office.
(NOTE: all documents that must be signed by the PhD candidate must be checked for the right signature. The signature must be the same as on the passport)
- The forms antecedents certificate, permission to use personal details and information form filled in by the candidate;
- The information form chair group filled in by the contact person from the chair group;
- A clear scan of the passport (with signature, personal details page and stamped pages). The passport must still be valid for at least 6 months when the PhD Office submits the application to the IND.;
- Copy of the front and back of the current residence permit pass;
- The signed form: Hosting agreement PhD office. Please see the instruction;
Proof of sufficient finances for the requested period of residence consisting of:
- The form Income Statement, filled in and signed by the PhD candidate;
One of the following options:
- When a scholarship is paid directly to the PhD candidate by the scholarship provider: we need the sholarship letter (specifying the costs of living and period);
- When the PhD candidate receives the living allowances from the grant provider via WUR through the 'kassiersfunctie': we need the letter of agreement and the grant award letter + a reference in the Hosting Agreement at point 5 that the living allowances of the PhD cadidate will be received by WUR from the grand provider and transferred from WUR to the PhD candidate by using the kassierfunctie. Voor meer informatie over het toepassen 'kassier' voor beursgelden van externe beursverstrekkers aan PhD kandidaten zie de intranetpagina Promovendibeleid;
- When the PhD candidate finances the stay him-/herself: we need an recent bank statement (with an amount of at least the amount that the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service requires) for each month of the requested stay in the Netherlands. This amount is adjusted twice a year on 1 January and 1 July and is € 1463,-/month between 1 January 2023 and 30 June 2023;
- When the PhD candidate receives covid-19 compensation in the period of stay: we would like to receive the addendum Covid-19 compensation, the approval letter of the application for covid-19 compensation from the Dean of Research and a proof of payment of the covid-19 compensation to the PhD candidate (latest item can be send in later and may consist of a bank statement of the PhD candidate or a signed payment request from the chair group).
Overview of forms needed
If you have any questions, please contact the PhD Office via PhD.email@example.com.