Visas and resident permits for PhD candidates

Wageningen University assists Non-EU PhD candidates to obtain permission to temporarily reside in the Netherlands for a (joint) Wageningen University PhD programme.

The HR advisers will assist employees of Wageningen University and PhD candidates bringing family members with obtaining visa. For other PhD candidates, supervisors can request PhD services to assist  PhD candidates with obtaining:  

  • Visas and residence permits
  • Health and 3rd party liability insurance (for more information, consult the insurance page)   
  • Plane tickets (only for sandwich PhD candidates with Wageningen University funding)

This can be done after your registration as a PhD candidate in Promis (step 4 in the timetable) and should be done at least three months prior to your arrival in Wageningen. The request of the supervisor should be combined with steps 5 and 6 of the timetable.

You are required to provide PhD services with the following documents:

  • See step 5 and 6 of the timetable
  • Letter of invitation (if you require a visa).   
  • Statement of financial support (and if applicable: the amount of your monthly allowance).
  • Your email and postal address.
  • Preferred arrival date / starting date of the PhD programme.
  • If applicable, name of the chair group and the Wageningen UR project number with “kostenplaats”.

Visa application procedure

PhD services will first request approval from the Dutch Immigration Office (IND). After IND has approved your request, you can apply for a visa at the Dutch embassy in your home country. Should you wish to come to the Netherlands with your spouse or partner and/or your children you need to discuss this with your supervisor beforehand. If you plan to bring family members with you, the Immigration Helpdesk of your department at Wageningen UR will initiate the visa application procedure.

Most PhD candidates in need of a visa should apply for a long stay visa. It is not advisable to enter the Netherlands on a short stay or tourist visa if you might need a long stay visa, because it is not possible to change a short stay visa into a residence permit while you are in the Netherlands.

Short stay visa (VKV)

A visa for a stay of up to three months can be obtained at the Dutch embassy in your country. VKV is not required for nationals of: Albania*, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Portugal, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan (VKV not required when passport has ID number), United Kingdom, United States of America, Uruguay, South Korea, Switzerland, Vatican City and Venezuela.
* biometric data in passport is required

Long stay visa (MVV)

PhD candidates from outside the European Union and European Free Trade Area who are planning to stay in the Netherlands for more than three months will need an MVV visa to enter the Netherlands. Nationals from the United States, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Korea, Monaco and Vatican City are exempted from this requirement; but they do need to apply for a residence permit.

More on residence permits