Register as a resident

for students outside EU / EFTA

How to become a resident in Wageningen?

All foreign students staying in the Netherlands for more than four months must register as a resident of Wageningen at the Town Hall municipal registry office. You will need to present:

  • Passport
  • Original birth certificate (Only needed, if you are planning to bring a family member to the Netherlands)
  • Original marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Proof of accommodation (e.g. rental contract) Please print your rental contract before your arrival in Wageningen.


Town Hall Address
Municipality of Wageningen,
Town Hall, ‘Burgerzaken’, Markt 22, Wageningen. Tel. 0317-492911 or 0317-492450.

Monday to Thursday 08.30 - 12.30
Friday: 08.30 - 19.00

If you not live in Wageningen, you need to register at the municipality of the city you will live in.

The birth certificate and the marriage certificate need to be legalised. Certificates from countries that are a member of the Apostille Convention only need an Apostille seal. These documents need to be written in Dutch, English, French or German. If the document is in any other language it needs to be translated by a sworn translator. These documents should be in order before you arrive in the Netherlands.

As the requirements for legalisation differ per country, we advise you to contact the Dutch embassy in your country of origin for detailed information. Find a Dutch embassy in your Country on the site of the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs also has rules relating to the legalisation of documents and appostille seals on its website.

If you have questions about the required documents for the municipality registration, you can contact

NB It is important to keep your address at the municipality up to date as many governmental agencies use this database – including the IND (immigration office). Always inform the municipality when you change your living address or are leaving the Netherlands for a longer period.