Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for outgoing students

On this page you can find a document with the frequently asked questions (FAQ).

Please consult this document before you contact the Exchange Office at WUR.

General questions

How do I organize my exchange period?

Is it possible to go on exchange to a university that is not a partner of Wageningen University?

It is not possible to go on exchange to a non-partner university. Some universities accept ‘free movers’ or ‘contract students’, but the exchange office is not involved with the procedures. In most cases students have to pay fees to the guest university.

For thesis it is sometimes possible to do a research at an university which is not a partner. However, this is dependend on the host university. Our office does not mediate or organize anything. You can apply for an Erasmus+ grant for thesis/internship.

Are the credits I earn valid for my curriculum?

The credits (ECTS or from a non-EU university) are transferable if you go on exchange to a partner university. But, external courses (including minors etc.) require approval from your study advisor and from the Examining Board of Wageningen University, in order to count as part of your study programme. Since credit and grading systems differ among countries and between universities, the results you obtain with external courses (including minors etc.) will need to be converted in order to fit in the credit and grading system used by Wageningen University, this will be done by the examining board of Wageningen University.

How about tuition fees?

If you go on exchange to one of our partner universities, you do not have to pay tuition fees at the partner university. You need to be registered as a full-time student and pay tuition fee at Wageningen University.

However, fees for e.g. visas can be charged and need to be covered by the student. Note: if you go on an exchange to a university which is not a partner of WUR, you probably have to pay tuition fees!


Is the programme available to students with special needs?

All actions of Erasmus+ are open to people with special needs. The programme aims at promoting equity and inclusion by facilitating the access to learners with disadvantaged backgrounds and fewer opportunities compared to their peers including people with mental, physical, sensory or other disabilities. For more information, please contact the exchange office.

Can I go to my country of origin?

It is possible to do a mobility period (study or training) in your country of origin as an Erasmus+ student, provided that your country of origin is not the country you normally study and live in. As long as you are officially a WUR student, you can go to all Erasmus+ partner countries. So, if you are a Spanish WUR student, you can get an Erasmus+ grant if you go for exchange or thesis/internship to Spain.

However, the selection criteria are defined by the higher education institutions participating in the programme, which could decide that students applying to study in their country of origin should have a lower priority than those applying to a country different from their country of origin.


What about Brexit?

As you know, Brexit might have effect on the Erasmus+ possibilities with the UK. Your grant might be influenced by the decisions involving Brexit. As a consequence there is a possibility that we are not able to provide you with a grant.

Unfortunately, we cannot give you definitive answers yet, as the deal/ no-deal outcome is not known at this moment. For now, all we can do is refer you to the FAQ on:

If we receive more information, of course we will keep you updated.

What is the grant amount for an internship abroad?

How much grants you receive depends on the duration of your internship or thesis and the country you are going to. on the following page you can find the three groups of countries and the amount of grant you could receive per 30 days.