Do you want to unveil all facets of storing freshly harvested top fruit in the best possible way? Improve your understanding of the physiological processes but also the technical background of cooling systems and controlled atmosphere (CA) storage? Do you want to distinguish between main and side issues to make the best decisions for long term storage of apples and pears? Then this online course is something for you. It enables you to study the learning materials at your own pace and place.
Why follow this online course?
After successful completion of this course:
- Have insight in basic fruit physiology and fruit quality.
- Have a better understanding of different storage systems and their application.
- Know the influence of storage conditions on fruit.
- Know the steps to choose the optimal storage conditions.
- Understand post-harvest quality defects and their causes.
- Have insight in the technical components of a storage systems and their functioning.
- Understand energy uptake and management of a storage system.
- Have insight in basic investments and operating costs for storage technology.
- Know how to work safely in fruit storage facilities.
For whom is this course?
This online course is designed for professionals in the fruit industry such as apple and pears fruit growers (and their co-workers) but also trading organisations, depots, cold storage operator, cooling operators and fruit consultants. It is assumed that the participant has applied work background or education.
Programme and topics per module
Within 18 hours this course will guide you through the many interesting facets of storing apples and pears. Quizzes are offered throughout the course to test your knowledge. The following modules are available:
- Introduction to cold storage of apples and pears
- Product: Fruit biology, relation between preharvest conditions and postharvest behavior, physiological processes
- Technology: Cooling and storage technology, explanation of functioning
- Product and Technology: Practical technological applications to achieve storage conditions for preserving top fruit quality
- Energy and Economics: Energy management in storage systems, investment and operations costs
- Closure and closing quiz: Summary, Online test (closing quiz) to obtain a certificate
This course is an online self-study course. Participants follow this online course at their own pace. The course learning materials are 24/7 available on the online platform of WUR. As participant you sign in with your personal account and study at your own pace. The learning material consists of practical tutorials, knowledge clips and readings. Quizzes are offered throughout the course. This way you can test and extend your knowledge about specific subjects of the course.
The course instructor is JMI (Josianne) Cloutier MSc, Wageningen Food & Biobased Research. Participants can consult the course instructor by email.