Are you looking for an introduction in the world of sensory science with a focus on eating behavior? Would you like to broaden and deepen your theoretical knowledge and gain the latest insights from present real world research? And are you looking for an integrated approach where food technology, consumer and nutrition science interact? Then this university-level online course is something for you!
The 3th edition of this highly rated course is scheduled for Spring 2021
You can already
Why follow this online course?
After successfull completion of this course, you will:
- Have insight in basic theoretical principles of sensory science.
- Know how to select and apply sensory methods.
- Have an overview of functions and physiology of the flavor-related senses and how they interact.
- Have insight in design and setup of a sensory experiment.
- Know the challenges of setting up a sensory test in a scientific way.
For whom is this course?
This online course is designed for professionals acquainted with food and nutrition topics with a BSc level by working experience or study. Understanding of basic statistical data analysis and tests (e.g. T-tests, ANOVA) are pre-assumed.
Programme and topics
The course consists of course learning materials, practical tutorials, knowledge clips, student/faculty interaction on assignments and by email, course discussion platform for fellow student interaction and interactive self-tests of the learned concepts and applications. Participants follow this online course in the same pace. The duration of the programme is 3 study credits, ± 80-90 hours of study spread over the total period. During the course fixed dates are set when assignments need to be handed-in, consisting of both individual and group work assignments. The following topics will be discussed:
- Introduction to sensory science
- Basic sensory methodology
- Sensory perception and evaluation: the sense of smell
- Descriptive sensory methods
- Sensory perception and evaluation
- Interaction between the senses
Certificate with ECTS
Upon successful completion of this course a certificate with 3 study credits (ECTS) is issued. The certificate is designed for a business environment and gives no immediate rights to apply towards a formal degree programme on a university. On a personal base exemptions can be made by academic institutions.
The instructor of this online course is dr. S. (Sanne) Boesveldt, Wageningen University, Division of Human nutrition and health.
The Online Course Principles of Sensory Science will take place again in 2021. By , we will keep you informed about the course. Questions? Contact the programme manager Monique Tulp-Jansen.