Do you wish you could become a more productive writer? Do you want to write together with other PhD candidates for a whole week, supported by academic writing teachers and coaches?
Writing is an essential skill for a PhD candidate or a postdoc. Yet, many are not the productive and effective super writers they would like to be. During this intensive online writing week you will experience an enormous boost in efficiency. The interplay between professional writing coaching, clear goals and deadlines, interaction with peers, and pleasant breaks will ensure that you increase the productivity and quality of your writing. The language of communication during this course is English.
Early-career researchers, such as PhD candidates and postdocs, who are currently writing an article or thesis. The maximum number of participants per group is 18.
During this week, we help you to focus and be productive. You are taught valuable writing strategies by teachers with a scientific background and consult our online modules for theory, examples and practice. While you are writing and revising your own article or thesis, you can consult a coach and confer with the other writers in your group. As a result, you will optimise your writing process in only one week, from the planning to the revision phase. You will be able to improve your text in terms of style, impact, structure and language and will maximize your output.
If you would like to get some more information about the programme, you can contact Griet Coupé: email@example.com.
Interactive online meetings
- Attend short writing classes
- Give and receive peer feedback
- Participate in informal writing activities with peers
Individual writing time with coaching
- Focus during productive writing time
- Consult a writing coach when you have questions or get ‘stuck’
- Unlimited access to GOALS (online materials)
Be inspired by well-written examples from your own field
- Read theory on and see examples of academic style, structure and language
- Practice writing skills and receive instant online feedback
- Have unlimited access to GOALS beyond the writing week
Practical details and credits
- Online course
- 13,5 contact hours
- 10 hours of self-study
- 1.0 ECTS
Dates and times
The course is offered a number of times. Please click below for the course schedule.
If you would like to take this course but it is either full or does not list a starting date that suits you, please subscribe to our notification list by filling in the registration form. You will then be kept updated on new sign-up opportunities and dates.
The course materials will be distributed online. The costs are included in the course fee.
To receive a certificate, participants must meet the following two requirements: (1) attend the first lecture and (2) attend at least 3 of 4 of the remaining lectures.
To be admitted to this course, you need to score at least 80 on the Oxford Online Placement Test (click here to read more about the OOPT) or to have an equivalent score on one of the following international tests:
- At least 6.5 in the IELTS exam
- At least an A grade on the Cambridge First exam
- At least an C grade on the Cambridge Advanced exam
- At least 87 on the TOEFL exam (internet-based)
- RATEr certificate with a "pass" for all 4 components
- We will also accept a diploma from any English-taught Master’s programme.
|University and external fee||€500|
The fee includes study and training material.
- PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK).
- Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the incurring course fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement. In this case you will only be charged a € 50 cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree). In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.