The Covid-19 pandemic has shown us that many conferences can successfully be held online. It can be quite challenging, however, to deliver a compelling poster presentation in a virtual setting. How do you keep your audience engaged? And how can you make your poster visually attractive without sacrificing comprehensibility? In this course, you’ll learn how to design an appealing poster and enticingly pitch your research to an online audience.
This course is offered in collaboration with Wageningen Graduate Schools (WGS).
In Creating and pitching virtual posters you’ll learn how to design a virtual poster that is both informative and attractive and you’ll develop your online pitching skills. You’ll learn how to persuasively communicate your ideas in an online setting and how to interact with your virtual audience. You will also practice QA sessions and your online networking skills. To optimally prepare you for the real deal, you’ll get the chance to bring all that you’ve learned into practice during a mock virtual conference in our final session. You will receive extensive feedback from your peers and the instructor throughout this course.
If you will be designing physical posters you can take our similar course Posters and Pitching face-to-face.
PhD candidates and Post-docs who want to learn:
- How to create a virtual poster that is both visually appealing and informative.
- how to effectively engage an online audience.
The maximum number of participants per group is 10.
- Design an informative poster that visually pops
- Develop and deliver an enticing online pitch
- Become a passionate online presenter that can inspire an online audience
- Learn how to turn a monologue into a dialogue
- Learn how to engage your audience in mini-conversations about your research
- Give and receive constructive feedback
- Learn how to use storytelling to engage your listeners
- Discover how you can use your voice and play with pauses to increase the impact of your words
- Learn how to manage nerves and stress
Practical information and
Dates and Times
The course Creating and Pitching Virtual Posters is given once a year. Please click below for the course schedule.
If you would like to take this course but it is either full or does not list a starting date that suits you, please subscribe to our notification list by filling in the registration form. You will then be kept updated on new sign-up opportunities and dates.
PowerPoint slides posted on Brightspace.
Hand-outs posted on Brightspace.
Participants must attend all course sessions to receive a certificate.
The fee includes study and training material.
·PhD candidates of Wageningen University with an approved Training and Supervision Plan (TSP) who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools (EPS, PE&RC, VLAG, WASS, WIAS, WIMEK).
·Postdocs of Wageningen University who are registered at one of the WU graduate schools.
·All other PhD candidates / Wageningen University postdocs and staff.
To be admitted to this course, you need to score at least 70 on the Oxford Online Placement Test (click here to read more about the OOPT) or to have an equivalent score on one of the following international test:
- At least 6.5 in the IELTS exam
- At least an A grade on the Cambridge First exam
- At least an C grade on the Cambridge Advanced exam
- At least 87 on the TOEFL exam (internet-based)
- We will also accept a diploma from any English-taught Master’s programme.
You may cancel free of charge up to four weeks before the start of the course. After this date you will be charged the incurring course fee. Unless:
- You can find someone to replace you in the course and supply the course coordinator with the name and contact information of your replacement. In this case you will only be charged a €50 cancellation fee.
- You (PhDs and postdocs of Wageningen University) have a valid reason to cancel (illness or death in the family 1st or 2nd degree). In this case you will be charged the reduced fee and your supervisor/PI must send a mail indicating the reason for cancellation.