Are you the first point of contact for university staff or students? Are you increasingly required to speak English in your job? Would you like to do so in a confident and customer-focused manner? Then our Hospitality English course is just the thing for you!
This course is intended for the following Wageningen University & Research and professionals from outside the University:
- Front desk & reception staff, Outpatient department staff and Secretarial staff
- Porters and security staff
- Catering staff
Hospitality English: on the way to B2 (CEFR)
The course consists of several modules. Each participant will take the standard modules covering the basics of communicating in English. In consultation with the teacher, you also will choose several job position-specific modules to complete the course programme. All modules focus on the verbal skills you need in your daily work practice. However, during the course you will also spend time on reading skills using department-specific material when possible.
Standard modules (for all participants)
- Polite greetings, small talk
- Giving general instructions
- Checking & clarifying information
- Generally polite & helpful phrases
Job position-specific modules
Front desk & reception and secretarial staff
- Instructions on how to use the printer, coffee & snack machines
- How to pay for parking/where to park
- How to give directions around the campus
- How to make, confirm and check room/equipment reservations
- How to take and check details: names, addresses, numbers, email addresses etc. (both face-to-face & online)
- How to assiste in an emergency
Porters and security staff
- How & where to park cars, bikes, bring delivery trucks etc.
- How to check details of reservations of room/equipment reservations
- How to take details/handle complaints of faulty equipment etc.
- How to assiste in an emergency
- How to handle thefts (take details/reassurance etc)
- How to confirm identities
- How to take reservations & confirm numbers
- How to check requirements for an event
- How to offer further services
- How to handle complaints/deal with expectations of resources available
- How to discuss special requirements, including knowledge of dietary requirements & allergies
- How to provide assistance during events
Thanks to the different available modules, the course can easily be tailored to suit specific departmental requirements and job functions in and outside WUR.
The course meets each week for 10 weeks. Each class is 1.5 hours. You will be expected to spend 2 to 4 hours on homework each week. The maximum number of participants per group is 9.
Dates and times
The course Hospitality English is offered annually in March and September.
If you would like to take this course but it is either full or does not list a starting date that suits you, please click here and you will be notified once you can sign up for new dates.
Course material will be posted on the online learning environment Brightspace. Students need to have access to a computer and the internet to download the material.
To receive a Wageningen in'to Languages certificate, a minimum attendance of 80% is required.
WUR employees: € 555
Regular fee: € 650
In case you are a WUR employee, please contact your supervisor. If they approve your taking this course in the context of your work at WUR, you can do so free of charge.