Arrival information for EU students

On this page you can find important arrival information for EU students. Please read it carefully.


For update information about COVID-19 take a look at this website from our government.

Travel to the Netherlands

Before traveling to the Netherlands please see the checklist on the government website. Here you can find lists of countries and information about what is required for entering the Netherlands


For information about getting vaccinated against COVID-19 in the Netherlands, see government website

Will international students also be vaccinated in the Netherlands?

We advise you to get vaccinated in your home country. It is possible to get vaccinated in the Netherlands. For information about vaccination, check this website.

Vaccination is important, also seeing the discussions on potential use of CTB/QR code in higher education. Want to be vaccinated? Check On this website you can find all vaccination centres where you can get your vaccination without an appointment.

Soon information will become available about booster-vaccinations, also for your age-group (

Did you received your vaccination in another/home country?

- You have only received one vaccination with  a EMA proved vaccine

- You have received one or two vaccinations with a Non EMA proved vaccine

Does this apply to you? Check for more information the government website

Students that were (fully) vaccinated outside the EU can currently not make use of the CoronaCheckApp to get access

to pubs, restaurants, cinema or festivals (etc). Of course you can get a test every day, but there is a more robust solution when this situation applies to you.

When you’re (fully) vaccinated with a WHO approved vaccine, you can contact the Municipal Health Service and set a meeting to get this registered.

This meeting takes place in person in Utrecht, close to Utrecht Central Station.

You need an appoint and this can be made by calling +31 (0)30 800 2899

This info can also be found at (the second item on):

Your current hardcopy proof of vaccination has to meet certain criteria as outlined at: (check the Requirements for proof of vaccination heading approx in the middle of the page).


Please check the government website to see if self- quarantine is mandatory for you.

Students from very high risk countries are required to self-quarantine upon arrival in the Netherlands. On this website you can find the list of countries and areas that are considered very high risk.To prepare yourself, we made a website for you with all the information about quarantine.

To check whether people comply with the quarantine obligation, a call team has been set up, led by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, which calls people on a random basis. If, based on background noise, the call team suspects that you are not at the quarantine address, a report can be sent to the municipality. Non-compliance with the quarantine obligation can be punished by the mayor with an administrative fine of € 339,-

Can I shorten the quarantine period?

You must self-quarantine for 10 days if you travelling to the Netherlands after staying in an area where the risk of coronavirus infection is very high. This quarantine requirement applies even if you have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery. If you get tested on day 5 you might be able to shorten the quarantine period.

Appointment for testing

The nearest GGD test facility is in Wageningen, Agro Business Park 99-101. There you can get yourself tested with or without an appointment. The walk-in hours are 9:00-10:15, 10:45-12:00, 13:00- 14:15, and 14:45-16:30 or by appointment via or 0800-1202.

More information about help and support when self-quarantining can be found here.

Quarantine Buddy

Students who don't have to quarantine but want to get in touch with a buddy can contact ESN. The ESN Buddy Program is there to support incoming students to feel at home in Wageningen. For more information check the ESN website.


All foreign students staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months have to do municipality registration. You can make an appointment via the link (select moving to Wageningen). After you have registered you will receive your BSN (Citizen Service Number).

For the registration you need to bring:

• a printed and completed municipality registration form (download form)

• your passport and a copy passport

• copy visa sticker (if applicable)

• your rental agreement and copy rental agreement

Municipality Ede

Are you living in Bennekom or in Ede you can make an appointment for municipality Ede via the link appointment Ede (it is in Dutch). Address Raadhuisplein 3, Ede.

Annual Introduction Days

The Annual Winter Introduction Days (AID) will take place from 7 to 11 February 2022. We encourage all our new student to sign up for the AID. Check the AID website for more information.

We advise our new students to join the Annual Introduction days (AID) see the website AID. The students get to know the campus, study advisor, the classmates, the University and all the other things that Wageningen has to offer.

You have to take into account the quarantine period when you want to join the Annual Introduction days (AID). More information about self-quarantine can be found here.

Bring your own device/laptop (BYOD)

A laptop is indispensable for students. For activities such as computer practical’s and groupwork the use of your own laptop is the standard. Also, for exams it is important to have a laptop that meets the WUR requirements

Since next year more exams will take place on campus, likely on your own laptop.

If you have any questions or need help for all laptop models:
Visit: ServicePoint IT, Forum reception desk
Call: Servicedesk IT (31) 317 4 88888


After you receive your BSN, you need to apply for your DigiD. Your DigiD allows you to identify yourself when making arrangements on the internet, such as with the government, educational institutes or/and healthcare institutions. For more information you can visit this website.

Bank application

In Wageningen and its surrounding cities you will find several bank shops where you can go to apply for a Dutch bank account.

Most of the Dutch bank shops will ask you for your BSN (Citizen service number) before opening a bank account. The municipality will provide you with this BSN as soon as you are registered as a citizen of Wageningen (this procedure may take a few weeks).

There are four main banks in the Netherlands, which international students tend to open an account at: ABN AMRO, Bunq, ING and Rabobank. Unfortunately not all of them are in the English language.

The student accounts are offered under special conditions that fit the need of international students.

It is recommended to check what is required by the specific bank in advance. In case of a proof of enrolment, you can download this yourself in Osiris.

The monthly fee is relatively low, from free up to around € 4.00 per month.

Here you can you can find an overview of banks that can serve as a guideline for opening an account at these four banks.

We advise all international students to bring cash and/or a credit card when travelling to the Netherlands.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      


For information about student housing, see the website about housing. If you already have a room from Idealis, you can collect your key at Idealis (Bornsesteeg 3). Note: At this moment international students can apply for a room. We noticed that a lot of students don't reply or apply for rooms. Please apply for several rooms (for example 5 rooms), and also reply if you received confirmation for a room, otherwise the room will go to the next student. Applying for one room does not mean you will get that room. To assure you will get a room, it is better to be not too demanding and accept a room. It is easier to move when you have settled down in Wageningen.

If you are still looking for a room, you can contact Housingdesk Wageningen to find more about housing options in Wageningen. Note: Be aware of fraud in the private market.

Health insurance

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

Non-Dutch students must be adequately insured for medical expenses while staying in the Netherlands. The Netherlands has treaties regarding health insurance with all EU member states. Your insurance company can provide you with a European Health Insurance Card. To secure yourself with a good complete health insurance we advise you to apply for Health insurance AON + complete. You can apply online through website AON (AON-Student Insurance).

Information Aon Basic Healthcare Insurance -> download folder

What does Aon Student Insurance cover? Download Leaflet FAQ’s

Information for  EU/ EEA students-> download leaflet

Are you planning to work while studying in The Netherlands? Here you can find more information.

General Practitioner (GP)

If you have a Covid-19 related question you can call this number from the Dutch government: 0800-1351 (from the Netherlands). From abroad you can call this number: 00312 0205 1351.

General Practitioner

In The Netherlands your General Practitioner (huisarts) should always be your initial contact for all medical matters. The General Practitioner (GP) is key in the world of health care, treating patients for basic non-surgical problems and providing consultations for most of your general health questions. The GP also serves as your link to most other services such as hospitalisation, specialists, midwifery, physiotherapy, etc. If necessary, the GP can refer you to a medical specialist at short notice. The GP keeps your medical record up to date and prescribes your medication.

How to find a GP?

You should register with a GP upon arrival in The Netherlands. You can choose your GP yourself. When choosing a GP, make sure you feel comfortable with them, as changing a GP once registered is discouraged and rarely done. Some GP’s may not accept any new patients as they are already filled to capacity. To find a local GP you can search on this website. The Student Medical Center Wageningen (not part of Wageningen University) accepts new patients and are experienced in typical student related problems.

Visiting your GP

In case of illness as well as for general consultations on less urgent matters, first phone your GP. A trained medical assistant will answer your call and note your complaints in order to properly schedule your appointment. This assistant has medical training and will ask you about your health issues you want to see the doctor about. This is standard practice in the doctor’s office in the Netherlands. Her aim is to asses the urgency of your situation and schedule the appointment soon enough. ​

​When making an appointment is common to have to wait a day or two before the doctor is available. ​


Wageningen has several dentist’ (tandarts) centres where you can register, which is advisable when you are staying in the Netherlands for a longer period of time.

Dental treatment is not always covered by medical insurance, please ask your insurance company for its dental regulations. For AON check the website.

Looking for a dentist in Wageningen? On this website you can search for a dentist, based on place, zip code or dentist name. There is also a quality register for dentists (KRT) with several dentist in Wageningen. You can check the website (Dutch).


Dial 112 - LIFE THREATENING SITUATIONS ONLY​. You will be asked if you need police, an ambulance or the fire brigade. 

Non-life threatening medical emergency but cannot wait to the next day:​

  • Family doctor, or
  • Doctor's office at the hospital in Ede (call 0318 -43 4444 weekend and evening) 

After office hours (weekend/evening/ night) you can go to the Huisartsenpost Gelderse Vallei (Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede). This is only for medical problems which are urgent and cannot wait until the next day. You always have to call first for an appointment (0318) 200 800. When you reach Gelderse Vallei Ziekenhuis please follow the signs: Spoedzorg. Always check if the treatment required is covered by your insurance before you go to the hospital!

If you moved to the Netherlands from a European country, it’s likely nothing will change for you. The main emergency number for most European countries is 112.

Need a dentist for emergency

After working hours, during the weekend or on national holidays, a dentist can be reached for emergencies by phone 0318-611888. The medical dentists post is located in the hospital in Ede. Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede.

Help from university

We offer help to students, based on what the students want we refer to the following person:

  • Student Dean: for information and advice on financing, regulations, study delays, studying with a functional disability, complaints or conflicts. Link to student dean.
  • Student Psychologist: for support in case of support for example fear of failure to eating disorders, stress, gloominess and even depression. Walk in daily lunchtime. Link to student psychologists.
  • Confidential Advisor for students: in case you experience undesirable behaviour can go to a confidential adviser. Undesirable behaviour can assume many forms such as sexual intimidation, aggression and violence, bullying and discrimination or unfair treatment.​ Link to confidential advisor.


You will certainly need a bike while in the Netherlands! If you are you can buy a secondhand or a brand- new bike. Note: Please visit cycling to read more about the cycling rules in the Netherlands.

Public transport

Find more about how the public transportation system works in the Netherlands public transport. You will need an OV-Chipkaart to pay for buses, trams, trains and metros. In order to travel with the train and bus, we advise you to buy a ov-chipkaart at Schiphol service points.

Please visit ov chipkaart to find out how to buy an anonymous or a personalized ov card. You cannot buy a ticket in the bus. You can only buy a ticket in the bus with a Dutch bank card or credit card . You cannot pay with cash money. For planning your destination to Wageningen please use the  9292 journey planner

Student life

Wageningen has many cafes, pubs and bars for you to meet your new friends and relax a bit from the student life. Most of them are around the big church, at Hoogstraat or in the little streets that cross Hoogstraat. Go for a walk and discover what they have to offer you! Sports & outdoor activities If you feel more adventurous, Wageningen offers a great possibility to explore the nature in its surroundings. For example, you can go for a walk and explore the Uiterwaarden, area nearby the river Rijn.

WUR card

All students receive a WURcard after their registration. The WURcard provides access to a number of buildings and labs (especially during weekends and holidays) and functions as identification in the library when borrowing books. You can also use your WURcard to use the printers and purchase from the vending machines for snacks and coffee. However, to be able to do so, you need to top up credit to your WURcard. For more information wurcard You will need your WURcard to access the Sports Centre de Bongerd (SCB) facilities. For more information, see the website Bongerd.

Free social Dutch courses for WUR students

Are you a student who would like to be able to speak Dutch? Or read labels in the supermarket, ask a shop assistant where you can find a particular item or have a chat with your neighbours? And on top of that, would you like to know about typical aspects of Dutch culture, both within and outside the academic world? In that case, the Social Dutch courses of Wageningen in’to Languages are just the thing for you.


  • When should I arrive in Wageningen?

The courses for period 4 start on February 14th. It is important to arrive on time in Wageningen. We advise you to arrive before February 7. This give you the opportunity to participate in the winter annual Introduction Days (AID). And this will give you time to arrange things such as registering at the Municipality and opening a bank account. Students who have to be in quarantine and want to participate in the AID, we advise to arrive 10 days before the start of the AID.

  • Where can I find Internet and WiFi on campus?

More information can be found here: mobile device.

  • Where can I find my study advisor?

More information about study advisor can be found here.

  • I want to read more about experiences from other international students, where can I find that?

There is an international students blog about student life.

  • Where can I buy my furniture for my room?

Online shops: For example Ikea. Buy furniture together with other students, so that you can share the delivery costs.

Second hand furniture: You can buy it second hand from students. There is a Facebook page where students sell their furniture, it is called 'Wageningen student plaza'. It is also possible to buy second hand furniture from the second hand shop. Google: Restore Ede or Kringloop Weldaad Wageningen.