Arrival information for NON-EU students

On this page you can find important arrival information for NON-EU students. Please read it carefully.


For update information about COVID-19 take a look at this website from our government.

Travel to the Netherlands

Before traveling to the Netherlands please see the checklist on the government website. On that website you can find lists of countries and information about what is required for entering the Netherlands.


For information about getting vaccinated against COVID-19 in the Netherlands, see website from government.

  • Walk-in vaccination centre

    On this website you can find all vaccination centres, both fixed and temporary locations, where you can get your first coronavirus vaccination dose without an appointment. Important: it is not possible for the 2nd vaccination! Don’t forget to bring your face mask, a valid ID/passport and your BSN (municipality registration number).

  • How can I make use of CoronaCheckApp?

Students that were (fully) vaccinated outside the EU can currently not make use of the CoronaCheckApp to get access

to pubs, restaurants, cinema or festivals (etc). Of course you can get a test every day, but there is a more robust solution when this situation applies to you.

When you’re (fully) vaccinated with a WHO approved vaccine, you can contact the Municipal Health Service and set a meeting to get this registered.

This meeting takes place in person in Utrecht, close to Utrecht Central Station.

You need an appoint and this can be made by calling +31 (0)30 800 2899

This info can also be found at (the second item on):

Your current hardcopy proof of vaccination has to meet certain criteria as outlined at: (check the Requirements for proof of vaccination heading approx in the middle of the page).


Please check the government website to see if self- quarantine is mandatory for you.

Students from very high risk countries are required to self-quarantine upon arrival in the Netherlands. On this website you can find the list of countries and areas that are considered very high risk.To prepare yourself, we made a website for you with all the information about quarantine.

To check whether people comply with the quarantine obligation, a call team has been set up, led by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport, which calls people on a random basis. If, based on background noise, the call team suspects that you are not at the quarantine address, a report can be sent to the municipality. Non-compliance with the quarantine obligation can be punished by the mayor with an administrative fine of € 339,-

Can I shorten the quarantine period?

You must self-quarantine for 10 days if you travelling to the Netherlands after staying in an area where the risk of coronavirus infection is very high. This quarantine requirement applies even if you have proof of vaccination or proof of recovery. If you get tested on day 5 you might be able to shorten the quarantine period.

Appointment for testing

The nearest GGD test facility is in Wageningen, Agro Business Park 99-101. There you can get yourself tested with or without an appointment. The walk-in hours are 9:00-10:15, 10:45-12:00, 13:00- 14:15, and 14:45-16:30 or by appointment via or 0800-1202.

More information about help and support when self-quarantining can be found here.

Quarantine buddy

For students who need to be in quarantine we can set you up with a buddy volunteer to support you during your quarantine. This buddy could help you out with grocery shopping and could answer practical questions about living and studying in Wageningen, or can just be someone to talk to. If you want to sign up for a buddy, please fill out this form.


All foreign students staying in the Netherlands longer than 4 months have to do municipality registration.

For the registration you need to bring:

• a printed and completed municipality registration form (download form)

• your passport and a copy passport

copy visa sticker (if applicable)

• copy of the rental agreement

On February 8 and 9 from 01.30-04.30 PM there are special students registration for Non-EU students at the town hall. In the second week of January we will send you more information via e-mail.

When it is not possible to register on these dates you can make an appointment via the link (select moving to Wageningen)

Municipality Ede

Are you living in Bennekom or in Ede you can make an appointment for municipality Ede via the link appointment Ede (it is in Dutch). Address Raadhuisplein 3, Ede.

Bring your own device/laptop (BYOD)

A laptop is indispensable for students. For activities such as computer practical’s and groupwork the use of your own laptop is the standard. Also, for exams it is important to have a laptop that meets the WUR requirements

Since next year more exams will take place on campus, likely on your own laptop.

If you have any questions or need help for all laptop models:Visit: ServicePoint IT, Forum reception deskCall: Servicedesk IT (31) 317 4 88888E-mail:

Residence permit

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) will inform the Student Immigration Office (SIO) of Student Service Centre about your residence permit. They will inform you when and where you can collect your residence permit. More information on legal residence permit can be found here.

Tuberculosis test

Depending on your nationality, student from a non-EU country might have to take a tuberculosis (TB) test upon your arrival in the Netherlands.  Participating in TB testing is necessary for obtaining your (temporary) residence permit. The tuberculosis test is free of charge. Students who need to take the TB test will receive an invitation by email.

Who needs to take the tuberculosis test?

In general, most students from non-EU countries must take a tuberculosis test. Students from the Exemption from the obligation to undergo a TB test do not have to do the tuberculosis test.


After you receive your BSN, you need to apply for your DigiD. Your DigiD allows you to identify yourself when making arrangements on the internet, such as with the government, educational institutes or/and healthcare institutions. For more information you can visit this website.

Annual Introduction Days

The Annual Winter Introduction Days (AID) will take place from 7 to 11 February 2022. We encourage all our new student to sign up for the AID. Check the AID website for more information.

We advise our new students to join the Annual Introduction days (AID) see the website AID. The students get to know the campus, study advisor, the classmates, the University and all the other things that Wageningen has to offer.

You have to take into account the quarantine period when you want to join the Annual Introduction days (AID). More information about self-quarantine can be found here.

Bank account

In Wageningen and its surrounding cities you will find several bank shops where you can go to apply for a Dutch bank account.

Most of the Dutch bank shops will ask you for your BSN (Citizen service number) before opening a bank account. The municipality will provide you with this BSN as soon as you are registered as a citizen of Wageningen (this procedure may take a few weeks).

There are four main banks in the Netherlands, which international students tend to open an account at: ABN AMRO, Bunq, ING and Rabobank. Unfortunately not all of them are in the English language.

The student accounts are offered under special conditions that fit the need of international students.

It is recommended to check what is required by the specific bank in advance. In case of a proof of enrolment, you can download this yourself in Osiris.

The monthly fee is relatively low, from free up to around € 4.00 per month.

Here you can you can find an overview of banks that can serve as a guideline for opening an account at these four banks.

We advise all international students to bring cash and/or a credit card when travelling to the Netherlands.  


For information about student housing, see the website about housing. If you already have a room with Idealis, you can collect your key at Idealis (Bornsesteeg 3). Note: At this moment international students can apply for a room. We noticed that a lot of students don't reply or apply for rooms. Please apply for several rooms (for example 5 rooms), and also reply if you received confirmation for a room, otherwise the room will go to the next student. Applying for one room does not mean you will get that room. To assure you will get a room, it is better to be not too demanding and accept a room. It is easier to move when you have settled down in Wageningen.

If you are still looking for a room, you can contact Housingdesk Wageningen to find more about housing options in Wageningen. Note: Be aware of fraud in the private market.

General Practitioner (GP)

If you have a Covid-19 related question you can call this number from the Dutch government: 0800-1351 (from the Netherlands). From abroad you can call this number: 00312 0205 1351.

General Practitioner (huisarts)

In The Netherlands your General Practitioner (huisarts) should always be your initial contact for all medical matters. The General Practitioner (GP) is key in the world of health care, treating patients for basic non-surgical problems and providing consultations for most of your general health questions. The GP also serves as your link to most other services such as hospitalisation, specialists, midwifery, physiotherapy, etc. If necessary, the GP can refer you to a medical specialist at short notice. The GP keeps your medical record up to date and prescribes your medication.

How to find a GP?

You should register with a GP upon arrival in The Netherlands. You can choose your GP yourself. When choosing a GP, make sure you feel comfortable with them, as changing a GP once registered is discouraged and rarely done. Some GP’s may not accept any new patients as they are already filled to capacity. To find a local GP you can search on this website. The Student Medical Center Wageningen (not part of Wageningen University) accepts new patients and are experienced in typical student related problems. You can register here.

Visiting your GP

In case of illness as well as for general consultations on less urgent matters, first phone your GP. A trained medical assistant will answer your call and note your complaints in order to properly schedule your appointment.


Wageningen has several dentist’ (tandarts) centres where you can register, which is advisable when you are staying in the Netherlands for a longer period of time.

Dental treatment is not always covered by medical insurance, please ask your insurance company for its dental regulations. For AON check the website.

Looking for a dentist in Wageningen? On this website you can search for a dentist, based on place, zip code or dentist name. There is also a quality register for dentists (KRT) with several dentist in Wageningen. You can check the website (Dutch).


Medical emergencies:

After office hours (weekend/evening/ night) you can go to the Huisartsenpost Gelderse Vallei (Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede). This is only for medical problems which are urgent and cannot wait until the next day. You always have to call first for an appointment (0318) 200 800. When you reach Gelderse Vallei Ziekenhuis please follow the signs: Spoedzorg. Always check if the treatment required is covered by your insurance before you go to the hospital!

Other emergencies:

The main emergency number for most European countries is 112.

Need a dentist for emergency:

After working hours, during the weekend or on national holidays, a dentist can be reached for emergencies by phone 0318-611888. The medical dentists post is located in the hospital in Ede. Willy Brandtlaan 10, 6716 RP Ede.


You will certainly need a bike while in the Netherlands! If you are you can buy a secondhand or a brand- new bike. Note: Please visit cycling to read more about the cycling rules in the Netherlands.

Public transport

Find more about how the public transportation system works in the Netherlands public transport. You will need an OV-Chipkaart to pay for buses, trams, trains and metros. In order to travel with the train and bus, we advise you to buy a ov-chipkaart at Schiphol service points.

Please visit ov chipkaart to find out how to buy an anonymous or a personalized ov card. You cannot buy a ticket in the bus. You can only buy a ticket in the bus with a Dutch bank card or credit card . You cannot pay with cash money. For planning your destination to Wageningen please use the  9292 journey planner

Health insurance

- Unfortunately, your cookie settings do not allow videos to be displayed. - check your settings

International students must be adequately insured for medical expenses while staying in the Netherlands. To secure yourself with a good complete health insurance we advise you to apply for Health insurance AON + complete.

Information Aon Basic Healthcare Insurance -> download folder

What does Aon Student Insurance cover? Download Leaflet FAQ’s

Are you planning to work while studying in The Netherlands? Here you can find more information.


Most of the shops are located along and around the main street in the city centre (Hoogstraat). Every Wednesday (8:30 –13:00) and Saturday (8:30–17:00) there is an open market located in the city centre around the big church (Grote Kerk in Dutch). You can find all kinds of foods and products generally cheaper than in the supermarkets and shops.

You can find ATM in all banks, but also at Jumbo (Tarthorst 1223) and Hema (Hoogstraat 59). Doing groceries during quarantine see for more information the website.

Face mask

As of 1 December, face masks are mandatory in all public buildings and covered spaces, in education, public transport and contact professions. Wear a face mask otherwise you will risk a fine of 95 euro.

Student life

Wageningen has many cafes, pubs and bars for you to meet your new friends and relax a bit from the student life. Most of them are around the big church, at Hoogstraat or in the little streets that cross Hoogstraat. Go for a walk and discover what they have to offer you! Sports & outdoor activities If you feel more adventurous, Wageningen offers a great possibility to explore the nature in its surroundings. For example, you can go for a walk and explore the Uiterwaarden, area nearby the river Rijn.

WUR card

All students receive a WURcard after their registration. The WURcard provides access to a number of buildings and labs (especially during weekends and holidays) and functions as identification in the library when borrowing books. You can also use your WURcard to use the printers and purchase from the vending machines for snacks and coffee. However, to be able to do so, you need to top up credit to your WURcard. For more information wurcard You will need your WURcard to access the Sports Centre de Bongerd (SCB) facilities. For more information, see the website Bongerd.

Free social Dutch courses for WUR students

Are you a student who would like to be able to speak Dutch? Or read labels in the supermarket, ask a shop assistant where you can find a particular item or have a chat with your neighbours? And on top of that, would you like to know about typical aspects of Dutch culture, both within and outside the academic world? In that case, the Social Dutch courses of Wageningen in’to Languages are just the thing for you.


  • When should I arrive in Wageningen?

The courses for period 4 start on February 14th. It is important to arrive on time in Wageningen. We advise you to arrive before February 7. This give you the opportunity to participate in the winter annual Introduction Days (AID). And this will give you time to arrange things such as registering at the Municipality and opening a bank account. Students who have to be in quarantine and want to participate in the AID, we advise to arrive 10 days before the start of the AID.

  • Where can I find Internet and WiFi on campus?

More information can be found here: mobile device.

  • Where can I find my study advisor?

More information about study advisor can be found here.

  • I want to read more about experiences from other international students, where can I find that?

There is an international students blog about student life.

  • Where can I buy my furniture for my room?

Online shops: For example Ikea. Buy furniture together with other students, so that you can share the delivery costs.

Second hand furniture: You can buy it second hand from students. There is a Facebook page where students sell their furniture, it is called 'Wageningen student plaza'. It is also possible to buy second hand furniture from the second hand shop. Google: Restore Ede or Kringloop Weldaad Wageningen.