What will you learn?
This specialisation focuses on the sustainable governance and economics of marine and coastal systems. The goals and strategies of commercial enterprises, international institutions and non-governmental and governmental organisations are analysed, alternatives are developed and their effects are evaluated in relation to the organisations and ecosystems involved. This is summarised in the learning outcome of this specialisation: evaluate existing socio-economic arrangements in order to design strategies for the governance and management of sustainable marine ecosystems and aquatic resources.
Check the online study handbook for more information on the courses in this specialisation.
Some thesis examples for the specialisation Marine Governance:
- Does MSC certification make fisheries more sustainable?
- The economics of overfishing and poverty traps
- Bottom up sustainability standards for SE Asian aquaculture?
- The evolution of social norms for cooperative resource harvesting
- Options for an International Environmental Agreement to combat marine plastic litter