How to apply
Are you interested in animal breeding? Do you have a passion for genetics? Do you enjoy working in a truly international environment? Then you are the right candidate for the European Master in Animal Breeding and Genetics!
The EMABG MSc course is open for motivated students with a background in Animal Sciences, Biology or related fields, who like to specialise in the field of Animal Breeding and Genetics.
Application is open from 1st September 2018. Deadline: 1st January 2019
Note: We recommend an early application and we will do our best to inform you about your admissibility to the program within 6 weeks after the submission deadline. Your EMABG admission letter will help you in finding scholarships/sponsors for the program.
If you are interested in applying for the EMABG, please check if you meet the requirements below:
- Awarded Bachelor of Science Degree (min. 180 ECTS) in animal science. An equivalent degree from related fields, such as agricultural sciences, veterinary medicine, zoology, botany, microbiology or similar is also accepted, if basics of genetics or animal breeding knowledge is documented in the transcript of records.
- Language Proficiency: B2 in English except when English is your mother tongue or you completed an English-taught Bachelor-program. If not, please provide one of the following documents: Official English test: IELTS 7.0 (with a minimum of 6.0 in the subscore “speaking”), internet-based TOEFL min. 92
- Application received before the end of the deadline
- Application form filled out in English
- Application containing all requested elements
- Copy of your diploma/degree certificate (add an English translation if applicable)
- Copy of transcript of records for your whole degree (ass an English translation if applicable and a grading scale)
- Copy of official language certificate attesting language skills in English
- Curriculum Vitae in European format
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of your passport
- 1 photograph (passport size)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Not obligatory: abstract of thesis (summary of thesis you wrote for your BSc/MSc degree)
- The application form must be filled out in English
- The online application procedure takes some time so make sure you have plenty of time to do it
- Before starting your application, make sure you have all the required documents you will have to attach to your application in a PDF format
- After submission of your application, you will receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt by e-mail
Students will be selected jointly each year for the 2-year programme by the EMABG selection committee during the annual meeting approx. two weeks after the application deadline. All complete applications that meet the admission criteria will be considered in the student selection. The eligible applications will be evaluated according to four selection criteria:
- Academic excellence including English language skills (final score share 40%)
- Motivation letter (final score share 25%)
- Work experience/professional qualifications/CV (final score share 25%) and
- Recommendation letters (final score share 10%).
Each application is evaluated according to the selection criteria, with scoring in the range of 1 (worst) to 10 (best). The partial scores are weighted based on the final score shares and summed up. Based on these evaluations a provisional ranking is produced. Whenever two or more applicants have the same score, the one with higher academic excellence will be placed first. The selection procedure will aim to maintain gender balance and will apply equal opportunity principles.
Before starting with the application form, please make sure you have digital copies (PDF format) of the following documents:
- Diploma/Certificate of degree: certificate providing the obtained degree – must be issued by the university where the degree was obtained, dated, signed and stamped, otherwise it will not be considered valid. Please add an English translation if your documents are not in English.
- Transcript of records: Must be issued by the university, stating in details all taken courses and obtained grades, as well as grading scale and average grade. This document must be dated, signed and stamped, otherwise it will not be considered valid. Please note that you must upload the transcript of records regarding all the years of your course. Please add an English translation if your documents are not in English.
- Language skills: Provide a certificate (IELTS, TOEFL) of your English skills if your mother tongue is not English or you did not complete an English taught study program before
- Curriculum Vitae: your document must be in an European format.
- Letter of motivation
- Recommendation letters and references: please upload 2 reference letters from former professors or employers supporting your application
The European Master in Animal Breeding and Genetics – EMABG – welcomes applications from academics and professionals from all over the world to be part of the programme as invited scholars/guest lecturers.
Objectives of stay of guest lecturers are varied: to teach and share knowledge with EMABG students as well as take advantage of the stay to do some research and develop partnership with the host institution.