Design your tailor made study programme
Together with your study advisor you can design a tailor made study programme. Below you see which elements are part of a MSc Biology study programme:
The following compulsory courses must be successfully completed by all students taking part in the MBI program:
- Frontiers in Biology (6 ECTS): This course deals with the latest developments in biology and covers a wide range of themes. Highlights in modern biology will be addressed by studying recent articles and by keynote speakers who are active in various biological disciplines.
- Academic consultancy training (9 ECTS): During this course students will work in groups on an assignment for an external client.
- Modular skills training (3 ECTS): The modular skills training teaches skills that are necessary for graduates to function in jobs at MSc level. These skills are obtained by selecting and following a couple of modules.
- Thesis (36 ECTS): The thesis must be a minimum of 30 credits, which is carried out within one of the nine specialisations.
- Internship (24 ECTS): The internship must be a minimum of 24 credits, which is carried out within one of the nine specialisations.
The MSc Biology offers nine specialisations:
Within a specialisation there are two courses that should be completed in order to obtain the level of knowledge needed to carry out a thesis or internship. Which courses are required varies among specialisation.
Optional courses can be selected from any relevant MSc programme offered either at Wageningen University or any other academic institution (subject to approval).
The combination of specialisation and optional courses gives students the opportunity to graduate with a profile that is tailor made to their specific interests.
Courses of the MSc Biology are listed in the online Study Handbook.