Are you a professional in the food industry and do you want to strengthen your expertise and knowledge about the environmentally-friendly and efficient production of high-quality products from our natural (agricultural) resources?
In this online master course we will provide instruments for evaluation of existing and new technologies with respect to efficiency of raw material, water and energy use and sustainable process system design. Since this online course is part-time, you will be able to combine study and work and enhance your career.
Content of the course
In this course we will study the influences of different choices in food production and processing methods. The evaluation of existing and new technologies requires appropriate evaluation instruments, plus a process system design that allows optimal use of resources (material, water and energy resources) and technologies. This course will provide these analytical evaluation instruments: (1) Analysis of mass and energy flows in a process system, and (2) Pinch Analysis, for the evaluation on efficient use and re-use of energy. Both instruments will be applied for various food production systems; from the large-scale supply chain, factory level, down to product and unit operation level.
The master course consists of online knowledge clips, digital exercises and case studies. All information will be provided on Blackboard.
What you will learn
- Prepare Sankey diagrams for the visualisation of mass and energy flows.
- Apply pinch analysis for the overview of heat requirements and optimisation of re-use of heat in complex production systems.
When you want to learn more about food biotechnology and processing, other courses are interesting for you too! You can deepen your knowledge in a specific career field, without following a complete Master programme. You can register for any combination, but these are our suggestions:
- Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing - Exergy Analysis (strongly recommended)
- Enzymology for Food and Biorefinery - Carbohydrases & Kinetics
- Enzymology for Food and Biorefinery - Proteases, Lipases & Bioreactors
- Laboratory class - Enzymology & Analysis (on-campus)
- Predicting Food Quality - Theoretical Principles of Modelling
- Predicting Food Quality - Solving Food Science Problems by Modelling
After completion of two or more courses there is a unique opportunity to apply what you have learned. You can start a capstone project in consultation with a Wageningen expert in the field. It is a tailor-made project, where you will write a short paper about your results and conclusions. During this work you will be coached by the expert.
A completed BSc in Food Science and Technology or equivalent.
You can complete the course(s) with an exam (not obligatory) or a capstone project. When completed successfully this will be mentioned on your certificate (included in the price).