Data management planning is a matter of good research practice. At Wageningen University & Research PhD candidates and Chair Groups are required to have a Data Management Plan.
A Data Management Plan (DMP) is a tool that makes you carefully think about your data collection process. Investing time in thinking about managing your research data at the start of your project helps to you to
- keep track of your research progress more efficiently;
- easily find and understand the data you created earlier;
- prepare your research data for future use (e.g., data publication, verification purposes or reuse of your data by others);
- comply with ethical guidelines, and institutional, funder and journal requirements
Wageningen Graduate Schools (WGS) requires that PhD candidates create a Data Management Plan for their research. Chair groups are also required to have a Data Management Plan for their group.
Once PhD candidates have created their DMP, it becomes an appendix to their research proposal and may be reviewed by Wageningen Graduate Schools. Each graduate school has slightly different requirements on how to submit the DMP with other documents.
- EPS Have a look at the PhD project form at the site with information for PhD students.
- PE&RC Describe how to manage your data in the PE&RC PhD project proposal. You can download it here.
- VLAG The data management aspects have to be added to the project proposal that can be found on the VLAG-site with information for PhD-students
- WASS Check at your Graduate School how to submit your DMP with your research proposal. According to the Procedures, Principles and Good Practices for SUPERVISING PHD CANDIDATES your research proposal is assessed on the following points: proposed research questions, theory and methodology, planning and feasibility, quality of the supervision team, data management and ethical issues.
- WIAS A data management paragraph has to be added to the WIAS PhD proposal template which you can find on the page with information for PhD-candidates.
- WIMEK The data management requirements are part of the PhD Project Proposal form for approval by the SENSE Research School, which you can find on the WIMEK PhD procedure page.
See also ‘Funder requirements’
See also ‘Journal requirements’