Dutch secondary education is divided into three levels of difficulty: VMBO, HAVO and VWO. Of these three VMBO is the most practically oriented and trains children for a specific profession. HAVO and VWO are more theoretically oriented, a HAVO diploma provides access to a university of applied science, and a VWO diploma provides access to university (though both universities and universities of applied science may set additional standards for admission).
Overview of secondary schools in the vicinity of Wageningen:
- Pantarijn (VMBO, HAVO and VWO)
- Marnixcollege (VMBO, HAVO and VWO)
- Christelijk Lyceum Veenendaal(VMBO, HAVO and VWO, Christian school)
- Rembrandt-College (HAVO and VWO)
- Ichthus College (VMBO, HAVO and VWO, Christian school)
The Marnixcollege has a bi-lingual VWO programme, where students partially receive their education in English.