Most Dutchmen are Christians, 55% of the inhabitants of the Netherlands is either Protestant or Catholic. However, though Christianity is the most dominant faith in the Netherlands, other denominations such as Judaism, Hinduism and Islam are also represented in Dutch society. A large part of the inhabitants of the Netherlands (40%) is atheist.
Wageningen UR is a neutral organisation, Wageningen UR does not support any (party-) political or religious activities. That is why we don't have specific prayer rooms. We do have contemplation rooms on Campus, to be used for different purposes. Ask the reception or secretary for the exact location in the building and the availability of the space.
Spaces for contemplation Wageningen UR
- Gaia building 101, Droevendaalsesteeg 3
- Orion building 103, Bronland 1
- Atlas building 104, Droevendaalsesteeg 4
- Radix building 107, Droevendaalsesteeg 1
- Zodiac building 122, De Elst 1
- Leeuwenborch (LEBO) building 201, Hollandseweg 1
- Transitorium building 312, Dreijenlaan 3
- Imares, Haringkade 1 IJmuiden
- Animal Sciences Group, Edelhertweg 15 & Houtribweg 39 Lelystad
Activities & services in Wageningen
You can find a number of churches and other religious meeting places in the vicinity of Wageningen.
- The Student Platform & Chaplaincy offers a variety of religious and philosophical activities for all students. See the link on the right side of this webpage.
- International Student Church is an ecumenical and international community of students from countries all over the world and from different Christian traditions. SCW organises English services on every 1st and 3rd Sunday of every month. The services starts at 12.00-01.30 in the Arboretum church: Arboretumlaan 1a (corner of Arboretumlaan and August Faliseweg). Check the agenda.
- International Taize services of the Student Platform & Chaplaincy every second Monday of the month from 20.00 pm at Arboretum Church Arboretumlaan 1a (corner of Arboretumlaan and August Faliseweg).
- The International Catholic Community (ICC) organises every Sunday at 12.30 pm an international mass of which the main language is English at the Johannes de Doper church (Bergstraat 17) in Wageningen. Afterwards everyone meets for a drink, a talk, some cake and cookies and music! Occasionally (during the week) a Mass is delayed or cancelled due to father Henri ten Have's agenda. Therefore every month the ICC sends an English Holy Mass schedule with the most current information about the Mass celebrations. If you like to receive it, please send a e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Interdenominational Christian Fellowship or ICF, offers various activities in Wageningen. English worships Sunday 10.30-12.15 hrs. Hollandseweg 328 Wageningen. Or for example a very successful host family program, where you as an international student or staff member can get in contact with a Dutch family.
Roman Catholic Church
- Vredehorst (Reformed), Tarthorst 1, 6708 HG Wageningen. Amazing Grace Parish: every Sunday English Service from 13.30-15.30 hours.
- Grote Kerk (Reformed), Markt 1, 6701CX Wageningen (website only available in Dutch)
- Bevrijdingskerk (Orthodox-Reformed), Ritzema Bosweg 18 (website only available in Dutch)
- Vrijgezinde Kerk Arboretum church, corner of Arboretumlaan and August Faliseweg, 6703AS Wageningen (website only available in Dutch)
- Synagogue Arnhem, Pastoorstraat 17a, 6811 ED Arnhem (website only available in Dutch)
- Mosque Al Mouahidin (Islamitisch Cultureel Centrum) Peppelensteeg 1, 6715 CV Ede (website only available in Dutch)
- Vaidiek Sanatan Dharm, Niemeijerstraat, 6701CR Wageningen.