SciFinder is a chemical literature database for chemistry and chemical engineering. You can search for author names, research topics, substance identifiers, chemical structures and chemical reactions.
SciFinder includes Chemical Abstracts, CASReact, Medline, and Registry. SciFinder can be used by Wageningen students and staff only and you need to register. SciFinder cannot be accessed off-campus.
Search for a specific topic
You can search SciFinder with natural language phrases. This means that you can type a sentence or question in the search box. For instance, you can search with the sentence: "Absorption of iron in humans". Tip: use two or three concepts to start your search and refine with additional terms based on your search results.
SciFinder does not use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT). SciFinder ignores words like OF, IN, AS, AT, FOR, FROM, THE, TO and WITH.
Plurals, abbreviations and difference in spellings
SciFinder searches automatically for most plurals and also translates some abbreviations and UK/US spelling variations. For instance, for the term NMR SciFinder retrieves NMR and "nuclear magnetic resonance", color also retrieves colour etc.
"Keep me Posted" (alerts)
An alert is called "Keep me Posted" in SciFinder. How to set up an alert for your topic:
- Go to your results list
- Click on "Create Keep me Posted Alert"
- Enter a title for your alert and, this is optional, a description
- Change or accept the default duration (default is 1 year)
- Specify the frequency: you can receive an alert once a week or once a month
- Click on "Create"
Export references to EndNote or Mendeley
By default SciFinder exports all retrieved references, but you can change this by selecting (marking) references in your results list.
- Click on “Export”, and a popup opens on your screen
- Choose: All, Selected or Range
- Select Citation export format (RIS)
- Click on Export
- Another popup opens. Here you can choose to export to EndNote or to Mendeley desktop
- Click "OK" and the references are directly imported into the reference manager of your choice