Follow me on:
Hedwig te Molder studies how people communicate issues of science and technology in their everyday lives, using Discursive Psychology and Conversation Analysis. She has a special focus on the changing role of experts and expertise in an alleged 'post truth' society. More generally, she looks at how people manage their knowledge rights and responsibilities, and the hidden moralities in doing so. Domains of application range from nutrition, vaccination and ADHD to gene editing and climate change. In these controversial areas, her applied interest lies with making the shift from debate to dialogue.
Hedwig published more than 90 scientific articles and book chapters. She is currently supervising 8 PhDs and a postdoc. The most recently completed PhD project is How do you know? Everyday negotiations of expert authority by Wytske Versteeg.
In 2007, Hedwig received the Distinguished Book Award from the American Sociological Association for Conversation and Cognition (Cambridge University Press, with Jonathan Potter). In 2009, she was a Visiting Scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), and in 2015 a Visiting Professor at the University of Vienna. From April-July 2017, she was a senior Fulbright Scholar at Rutgers University, School of Communication and Information, USA.
She chairs the social ethical committee of the COGEM, the scientific advisory board for the Dutch government on genetic modification, and is a member of the Executive Board.
Together with Noëlle Aarts (Radboud University), she founded the Centre for Dialogue.
Hedwig te Molder in the media
Television (in Dutch)
- NieuwLicht, NPO2, 28 October 2018. About decreasing immunisation rates in the Netherlands
- Science Cafe Nano, RTL Z, 31 May 2016
Interviews (in Dutch)
- Wetenschap roept achterdochtige reacties van publiek over zichzelf af. De Volkskrant, 28 August 2014
- Nieuw: 'boodschappenlijstje maken' voor de wetenschap. De Volkskrant, 31 March 2015
- Amateurs duiken nu ook in de wetenschap. NRC, 1 September 2016
- Wat moeten we aan met de prikweigeraar? De Volkskrant, 19 November 2016
- Het falen van de feiten. Wantrouwen in de wetenschap. NRC, 4 February 2017
- De activistische wetenschapper: moeten we daar blij mee zijn? Trouw, 11 May 2017
- Weerzin tegen de prik is niet zo vreemd. De Volkskrant, 25 August 2018
- Jeugdartsen sturen brief om niet-ingeënte jongeren alsnog aan te sporen tot vaccinatie. De Volkskrant, 12 October 2018
- Innovatie spreekt Hedwig te Molder. Innovatie Estafette, 10 April 2019
Debate (in Dutch)
- Trollen, Twitter, Thierry en Trump. Debate in De Balie, Amsterdam, 18 March 2019
- Parliamentary debate on the social-ethical implications of the Embryo Law and gene editing, Dutch Parliament, The Hague, 4 June 2018
Radio (in Dutch)