My research involves the development and application of computational methods with the ultimate goal to understand plant development. In particular, I am interested in the question how to analyze the large amount of genome sequences and other -omics data that are available nowadays. A lot of data is gathered nowadays, but it is far from trivial to obtain biological insights from these data. To do so, I use machine learning; starting from available knowledge, these methods deliver novel predictions which are subsequently tested by colleagues working in the lab.
Typical examples of projects include:
- Prediction of functional sites in protein sequences
- Analysis of transcription factor binding sites
- Modelling of regulatory networks
- Prediction of functions of genes
- Analysis of alternative splicing