Profile of the course
This is an advanced course which is part of the WASS graduate programme aimed at students in the MSc programmes MME, MID, MDR and MCH. It provides an overview of simulation and modelling approaches for socio-technical systems. It offers hands-on experiences with the most widely used: Agent-based modelling, Discrete event / time simulation, System dynamics. Aimed at those who want to select appropriate methods for their study. We provide the method, the student provides the case in their subfield of the life sciences. The course is dense in both abstract thinking and speed of the computer labs.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- describe their own research topic as a complex socio-technical system;
- select which actors to include in their models;
- evaluate the application scope of a range of analytical modelling approaches;
- select an appropriate approach for their own case;
- create simple models for their own case, neither too complex nor too simple.
INF-50806 - Agent Based Modelling.