Internship with RSO

An academic internship is a chance to put your academic knowlegde into practice in an organization or company. There are a wide variety of possibilities to do an internship with RSO.

Internships raise a lot of questions on what is is and how to get them. Below is an overview of the most frequently asked questions on internships.

FAQs Internship

How do I find an internship?

Students find an internship by themselves. In principle, the chairgroup does not offer internship possibilities. Have a look at the usefull links (right) to see if there are interesting internships availabe. Check our Facebook and the Facebook group of the MID for internship possibilities.

How long does an internship has to be?

An internship can vary in length, depending on a full time workweek or the assignment. You can calculate the length by looking at the amount of hours you will be spending on your internship. If this relates to the amount of ECTs hours for an internship you should be okay.

An 24 ECTS internship (standard course code) is 672 hours. This includes the writing of the report. As a general rule of thumb this relates to a 4 month internship.

When in doubt, please check with study advisor.

What are the requirements for RSO supervision

Check the study guide for the requirements as to when you can do an internship. In general, many chairgroups can supervise your internship as long as they are involved in the Master programme. Specific RSO supervision is usefull when the topic or organization of the internship has strong links with the courses and expertise profiles of RSO staff.

What is an academic internship?

An academic internship is an internship that is at the level of your expertise. This means that an internship should have a content element in which you can apply the skills and knowledge learned during the master programme. Academic internship preferably have a research component.

How do I find a supervisor?

You get a supervisor assigned via the intake meeting with the education coordinator. You can book an appointment with her online via Calendly.

Where can I find all the information on rights and responsibilities?

Check the list of Internship Documents (on the right). Read the internship course guide carefully!

Do I need a risk assessment?

If you do an internship in a country of higher risk: Yes!

According to the WUR travel policy, travel to areas with a higher risk requires an approved risk assessment.

If you want to travel to a country or area with a higher or visible safety risk, you must do the following:

  • You need prior written permission from your supervisor if there is a code yellow, red or orange for the country/area in question.
  • Read more about this in the Travel policy WUR
  • To request permission, complete the questionnaire as thoroughly as possible and add this to your request for a trip abroad.
  • Before you leave follow the Basic Safety and security course.
  • Register
    in advance on the site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the
    period in which you’ll be abroad. Be aware during your stay of any
    worsening of the situation with regard to safety.
  • Download the
    national government’s travel advice app onto your mobile phone so you
    can keep informed of the local situation during your stay.

How does an internship report look like?

The internship report contains the internship deliverables, such as a research report, a policy document, a communication plan, an evaluation report, a design, or educational material, as agreed with your supervisor(s) in the learning agreement. This is a portfolio of all the projects you worked on.

Additionally, it includes a self relfection report that is based on personal learning goals set at the beginning of the internship in the learning agreement (see doc on the right).

As an annex you can add for example the PowerPoint presentation of your obligatory presentation given at the host organization.