Develop together with public and private sector a national strategy and action agenda to innovate the dairy value chain in Thailand.
Objectives of the project
- Develop together with public and private sector a national strategy and action agenda to innovate the dairy value chain in Thailand based on results of project and an analysis of the challenges and opportunities shared by the stakeholders;
- Identify opportunities for further cooperation and public private partnerships with the Netherlands (government, private sector, knowledge institutions)
- Contribute to capacity building in the dairy sector through cooperation with the FAO Regional Dairy Development project and providing support to the regional training centre in ChiangMai.
- A seminar/workshop on Dairy Coop Development in Thailand was held. Major leaning points were the single focus of the cooperatives, the business attitude, cooperative efficiency to reduce transaction costs.
- Discussion was held with representatives of MoAC and Kasetart University on the furture development of the Thai dairy sector.
- A visit was made to Wan Nam Yen Dairy Cooperative together with staff of FrieslandCampina Thailand to explore the possibilties for cooperation regarding dairy training and extension. WanNamYen, a strategic partner of FrieslandCampina Thailand is in the process of establishing an international dairy training centre and likes to cooperate with international partners. This offers opportunities for Dairy Campus and its partners (Dairy Training Centre) to link with Thai partners to develop international dairy training courses for extension workers (dairy farm management etc.) in the SE Asia region. First the feasibility of a training center on a commercial base including the possibilities for funding need to be investigated. This needs to be done in 2013 but extra funding will be needed.