The aim of this activity is to generate 5-10 barcode sequences (COI and ITS) for about 100 species of Q arthropods (priority 1), and about 50 closely related species.
To reach this aim we will:
- Establish a prioritized list of all Q arthropods relevant for the EU to be barcoded, plus a list of the related species that could be misidentified.
- Collect all Q arthropods and nominated associated species, each from a variety of localities and/or crop hosts.
- Develop reliable DNA extraction procedures for larvae and adults.
- Develop and test primers for PCR amplification of the two proposed genes (COI & ITS) for all species of Q arthropods and nominated associated species.
- Collect DNA barcode sequence data for the two proposed genes (COI & ITS) for all species of Q arthropods and nominated associated species.
- Test the usefulness of this dataset together with independently generated data in BOLD for accurate identification of the Q arthropods.
- Task 3.1 Sampling of species
- Task 3.2 Selection of barcode genes and regions
- Task 3.3 DNA extractions and generation of protocols for amplification of barcode regions
- Task 3.4 Generation of Barcode sequences.
- D 3.1 List of selected Q- arthropods and non-Q congeneric species (Month 6)
- D 3.2 List of barcode regions for selected Q-arthropods (Month 6)
- D 3.3 Three protocols for DNA extraction for selected Q-arthropods (Month 12)
- D 3.4 List of protocols for amplification of 2 barcode regions for all taxonomic groups (Month 18)
- D 3.5 About 3000 Barcode sequences of the Q-arthropods (Month 30)
- D 3.6 Providing diagnostic tool (including any current limitations) (Month 36)
- D 3.7 Detailed contingency plan for WP3 (Month 6).