Nature-based climate adaptation represents a golden opportunity. By increasing our understanding of nature and natural processes, we can work with water and nature to adapt to the changing climate. The result is longer term cost-effective solutions that increase climate resilience and benefit society as a whole.
Partner of governments
Wageningen Environmental Research partners with local, regional and national governments to explore and assess the effects of climate change and create nature-based solutions.
- Effect studies: What are the effects of climate change on functions such as agriculture, nature, water provision and water security?
- Designing solutions for climate change adaptation
- Scenario studies: outlining the effects of different solution scenarios
- Monitoring: following the effects of climate change or adaptation measures in the field
- Evaluation: do the measures meet the adaptation objective?
Adaptive water management
- Making more room for water, by digging side channels in river floodplains
- Green water storage in and around cities
- Improved water conservation measures for agriculture and nature
- Natural foreshore protection measures to increase water safety
Nature and climate robustness
- Linking up areas of nature to increase their climate robustness
- Restoring stream systems as part of habitat restoration