In 2050, about 70% of the global population will live in cities. As a result, problems concerning sustainability and quality of life are becoming increasingly urgent for these urban areas. Wageningen wants to achieve metropolitan solutions with the aim of realising cities and metropolitan areas that – in close relationship with the surrounding rural areas – are liveable, healthy and resilient, and have circular economies. We address aspects such as heat islands, flooding, food supply, air quality, urban agriculture and liveability, as well as urban policy and urban planning.
Cooperate with us on metropolitan solutions
With our expertise in ‘natural capital’, Wageningen Environmental Research offers innovative solutions and approaches to the challenges faced by towns and cities concerning health and well-being, climate, availability of food and raw materials and biodiversity conservation. We provide knowledge on governance, planning, design, geo-information and big data.
Download our fact sheets
- Connecting the Urban Fringe for Metropolitan Food Challenges
- Green business parks: Nature-based solutions for a more sustainable working environment
- Secure livelihoods: Understanding and developing solutions for mass migration
- The future of public spaces: Providing safe, inclusive and accessible green and public spaces for all ages
- Sustainable settlements: Designing green solutions for displaced people and their hosts
- Re-use of resources: Towards a Circular Economy
- Climate-resilient cities: Nature-based solutions for future-proof cities