How can governments, producers, processors and other actors in the agri-food chain design and implement food measures to ensure safe food? In complex food supply chains it is not easy to guarantee an appropriate level of food safety, without complying with different kinds of rules, regulations and inspections. To deliver safe food as well as to create sustainable business, stakeholders along the value chain have to design and/or implement scientifically sound and practical surveillance, monitoring and enforcement measures. This course empowers you to assess and manage food safety throughout the value chain.
What will you learn?
In this course, you will:
- Learn about functional elements such as standards and regulations, monitoring and surveillance, control management, inspection and certification, risk communication, and training and education;
- Practice a step-wise approach to improve your own control system: benchmark current practice, identify local challenges and opportunities and design a strategy to manage the change process;
- Develop skills (and confidence) to engage with others to bring about change in your own organization, major clients or other stakeholders.
Please find a more detailed overview of the course content below.
For whom is this course?
This course is aimed at business, civic society or government professionals engaged in food quality and safety management, including research, public controls, production, manufacturing and trade. Participants need to have a professional education and at least three years of professional experience in agri-food chains, be proficient in the English language, have computer skills and be able to share real life cases.
Course programme in more detail
Upon completion you will be able to:
- Explain key concepts and elements of national food safety system;
- Describe current safety hazards and understand how these translate into risk and control limits;
- Identify institutional constraints and options to improve national control systems;
- Engage in setting up or improving elements of a (national) food safety control system;
- Advise governments, sector organisations and development organisations on food safety governance issues;
- Develop education and training programmes on food safety control.
Courses are currently online
Our courses are currently online. Check the course details for more information about the online course format.
Application for this course
On top of this page you can apply for the course 'Governance and Food Safety in International Food Chains'. Depending on your nationality, your organisation and the type of course you wish to join, your eligibility and the application procedures may differ. Find out more about the requirements and the application process.