Call for partners: Public Private Partnership project Food Safety Assessment of Biobased Food Contact Materials

Wageningen Food Safety Research and Wageningen Food & Biobased Research will combine expertise and experience in biobased materials for food packaging, toxicity testing and migration test method development, and develop alternative testing methods to be able to apply biobased Food Contact Materials (FCMs) in a safe manner.

As of 3 July 2021, single-use plastics will be banned within the EU (Directive (EU) 904/2019). In order to minimize the adverse impact of food contact materials (FCM) in the environment and to encourage the circular economy, several alternatives to conventional plastics for FCMs have been developed. Migration testing need to be performed in order to assess the safety of these material when in contact with food. Current legislation, however, requires migration testing at temperatures of 60°C, which is incompatible with some alternative biobased materials.

Project aim and scope

This project aims to develop methods and opportunities to assess the safety of biobased food contact materials from renewable resources and agricultural side streams, which are instable at the current compliance testing conditions . Ultimately, the project aims to support development of safe alternatives to conventional plastic FCM for the benefit of a circular economy.

What are we going to deliver?

The knowledge gained in this project can be applied by multiple stakeholders along the food chain. The new food safety assessment method will support producers to market and apply the biobased materials safely as FCM. More specifically, the recommendations will guide food producing companies to decide which biobased materials would be suitable for packing which food products in what (storage) conditions. Lastly, the results from this research can provide input to legislators on how biobased materials should be reviewed and how its safety as FCM should be assessed in the revision of Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 on materials to come into contact with food.

Want to join us?

All interested parties are welcome to cooperate with us in this Public Private Partnership project. Cooperation in this PPP needs a minimal cofinancing of 30% of the budget (the other 70% is funded by the Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality to the knowledge institutes). A budget indication is 10k euros per year per partner. It is possible to contribute with 50% of this in natura (5k euros in kind and 5k euros cash).