The European Union Reference Laboratories (EURLs) aim to ensure high-quality, uniform testing in the EU. They are appointed by the European Commission.
In the area of food and feed Wageningen Food Safety Research is EURL for:
- Residues of growthpromoter, sedatives and mycotoxines in food of animal origin
- Mycotoxins and plant toxins in food and feed
EURLs are intermediates between the European Commission and National Reference Laboratories (NRLs) with the task to:
- provide NRLs with analytical methods and diagnostic techniques and coordinate their application
- train staff from NRLs and official laboratories
- assist member states with scientific and technical support regarding carrying out food control
- collaborate with the competent laboratories in non-EU countries
- support Commission activities on risk management and risk assessment in the area of laboratory analysis.
EURLs receive partial annual funding from the EC to fulfil their tasks and functions. More information regarding funding can be found on the website of the European Commission.