Call for partners: Multifaceted research on dietary fibres and health

Also wondering what effects fibres have on overall human health and well-being, sustainable food chains and consumer behaviour? Wageningen University & Research Human Nutrition and Health are starting a consortium around this topic.

Multifaceted research on dietary fibres and health

Cardiometabolic disease is an umbrella term for coronary heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease, a group of diseases that represent a massive burden to modern societies. Poor-quality diets with a low fibre content are a major cause of cardiometabolic disease. Dietary fibre intake is far below the recommendation of 30-40 grams per day. Research on the health benefits of fibre is warranted, focussing on different intake levels, types and sources of dietary fibre. More knowledge is also needed on sustainability and consumer aspects, including possibilities and barriers for increasing fibre intake.

Research question and approach

We propose a multidisciplinary research project on dietary fibre that involves all five chair groups of the Division of Human Nutrition and Health, Wageningen University & Research, aiming to deliver the following outcomes:

  • The project will show which dietary fibres and/or fibre sources offer most health benefit, including protection against cardiometabolic diseases.
  • The work is carried out in the context of healthy, sustainable EU diets, taking consumer preferences into account.
  • The multidisciplinary research setting of the three WPs and their implementation trajectories is optimally suited for the development and validation of biomonitoring tools, tracking devices, and artificial intelligence algorithms.
  • Project results will underpin personalised nutrition and health initiatives that empower consumers to make necessary dietary changes and control their health and well-being in the long term.

The budget for this four year project is estimated to be 1.200-1.600k euros.

Will you participate?

The above described project is being developed for application to the TKI Health Holland subsidy, a Dutch governmental program sponsoring applied research. The project requires at least one Dutch company partner, but additional partners from abroad are welcome to join.

Granted projects receive 75% subsidy funding. The other 25% is contributed by Wageningen University and Research (10%) and industry partners 15%, of which at least 2/3 needs to be cash and up to 1/3 may be in-kind.

Aim is to have one or two industrial partners, which results in 15-40k€ cash contribution of partners per year during a four year period.