Wageningen University & Research licenses proprietary plant varieties of fruits and arable crops, ornamentals, mushrooms and woody crops developed in dedicated breeding programs.
Wageningen University & Research has a long standing tradition in developing new varieties in fruits, mushrooms, arable and woody crops and ornamentals. All varieties are either protected by plant breeders’ rights and/or plant patents in the US. Through extensive testing programs and market research, many of our varieties are being used by growers to reach satisfied consumers.
Wageningen University & Research scientists have developed the following proprietary varieties:
- Apple: the most famous variety developed by Wageningen University & Research is Elstar. Currently the following varieties are commercialised by Fresh Forward: Bellida, Elise, Elshof, Red Elstar, Santana, Fresco (Wellant), SQ133 (Allurel), SQ159 (Natyra, Magic Star, Sprank) and WUR37 (Freya).
- Pear: Verdi (commercialised by Fresh Forward).
- Strawberry: Lambada, Polka, Rapella (commercialised by Fresh Forward).
- Quinoa: Atlas, Carmen, Pasto, Riobamba, Dutchess. WUR also owns Jessie, Rouge Marie and Bastille. The licenses are managed by RADICLE.
- Crambe: Galactica, Nebula.
- Cannabis: Chamaeleon.
- Calendula: Carola.
- Oyster mushroom: Allerpo, Broncoh, Spoppo, Desmé.
- Potato: Double Fun (commercialised by HZPC), Lily Rose and Purple Rain (commercialised by Plantera), Vitalia (commercialised by Stet).
- Perennials: Agastache ‘Heatwave’, Aster ageratoides ‘Starshine’, Crataegus succulenta ‘Jubilee’, Hypericum x inodorum ‘Arcadia’, Lonicera ‘Honey Baby’, Pieris japonica ‘Passion’, Rhododendron ‘Centennial Gold’, Rhododendron ‘Millennium Gold’, Skimmia japonica ‘Temptation’.
The Wageningen University & Research breeding programs release since years outstanding varieties with resistance against diseases, improved cultivation qualities and where appropriate good taste and shelf-life. Varieties are available by licensing. For this we collaborate with different companies. The company Fresh Forward, a spin-off of Wageningen University & Research, is responsible for all strawberry, apple and pear varieties. RADICLE and AbbottAgra are our partners for breeding and licensing of quinoa varieties.
Our scientists can assist breeders and growers interested in developing new varieties in a wide variety of crops but especially for bio-based or industrial applications. Our assistance may vary from technical assistance by performing special techniques, hiring greenhouse space, developing molecular markers for specific traits, and performing commissioned, dedicated breeding programs.
- Long standing breeding tradition and expertise
- Unique varieties with outstanding characteristics
- Embedment in excellent research environment
Stage of development
Introduction/implementation of variety. Ready for production and validated.