Primary positionProf Arthur P.J. Mol was appointed Rector Magnificus and member of the Executive Board of Wageningen University & Research on May 28th 2015.
Responsibilities within Wageningen University & Research
As an environmental expert and sociologist, Mol was appointed chair of Environmental Policy in 2000. From 2009 to 2014 he was director of the Wageningen School of Sciences and a member of the Doctorate Board. His core research themes include globalisation, social theory and environmental issues, ecological modernisation, sustainable production and consumption, information-based management and urban environmental management. He conducts research on several continents.
Current additional positions
Mol is an editorial board member for eight international peer review journals.
- Editor - Edward Elgar
January 2012 - current
New Horizons in Environmental Politics book series
- Board member Research committee Environment & Society - International Sociological AssociationJuly 1998 – current
- Advisory Board Sustainable Places Research Institute of /Cardiff UniversityJanuary 2010 – current
- Board Member - Agri Food Capital, North Brabant, the NetherlandsJune 2016 – current
- Rectorencollege Nederlandse Universiteiten - VSNUJune 2015 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Member Steering Committee Onderzoek en Onderwijs - VSNUJuly 2015 - currentOn behalf of WUR
- Chairman/Member Steering Committee Versnellingsplan – VSNUJuly 2015 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Member Supervisory Board - WetsusJuly 2015 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Member Scientific Advisory Committee AMS - Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan SolutionsJuly 2015 - currentOn behalf of WUR
- Board Member Euro League of the Life Sciences ELLS 2015 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Chairman/Member Begeleidingscommissie PBL - Planbureau voor de LeefomgevingJuly 2016 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Member Governing Board IHE Delft Institute for Water EducationJuly 2017 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Member TO2 FederationAugust 2018 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Board Member European Bioeconomy University EBU2018 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Board Member OnePlanet Research centreAugust 2019 – currentOn behalf of WUR
Board Member EWUU AllianceMarch 2020 – currentOn behalf of WUR
- Advisor - Nationaal Comité Herdenking Capitulaties 45 WageningenJul 2020 - currentOn behalf of WUR
- President European Life Science Universities ICAOctober 2020 – currentOn behalf of WUR
Former scientific, advisory and professional activities
Arthur Mol studied Environmental Sciences in Wageningen, graduating in 1985, and went on to obtain a PhD in Sociology from the University of Amsterdam in 1995.
He was a professor of Environmental Policy at the School of Environment and Natural Resources at Renmin University in China from 2009 to 2013. He also worked as a professor at Tsinghua University in Beijing from 2013 to 2015, at the National University of Malaysia from 2014 to 2015 and at Chiba University in Tokyo from 2009 to 2014.
Mol has been a member of the China Committee of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences from 2013-2015 and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Global Governance and Democratic Government programme at the Catholic University of Leuven's Centre for Global Governance Studies in Belgium from 2010 to 2017.
Until 2017 Mol was a member of the High Level Panel of Experts (HLPE) of the UN Commission for World Food Security (CFS).
From 2009 to 2013 he was a member of the Steering Committee for the Sustainable Development Knowledge Partnership of the UN Commission for Sustainable Development in New York.
He was the Wageningen University & Research representative in the Netherlands Deans of Social Sciences from 2013 to 2015 and a board member of the Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (AMS) from 2014 to 2015.
Arthur Mol has co-authored 24 books and 14 special issues of international scientific journals. He has also published 187 peer-reviewed articles and 90 scientific book chapters.
He has an h-index of 21 on Web of Science, 24 on Scopus and 43 on Google Scholar. Mol has supervised 48 PhD candidates, with 22 currently in preparation.
The Wageningen University & Research Library has an overview of all publications Professor Mol has written throughout his career at Wageningen University & Research.
- List of publications at Wageningen University & Research: A.P.J. Mol
- List of publications on Google scholar
- List of publications on Narcis
- List of publications on Web of Science
- List of publications on Scopus
- Selected as one of 200 leading Dutch researchers in the 'Cream of Science' list by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2005.
- Frederik H. Buttel Award, International Sociological Association, 2010
- Award for distinguished scholarship of the American Sociological Association, Environment and Technology section, 2010
- Vinus Zacheriasse Award for the best Social Science publication in 2010 for: L. Zhong and A.P.J. Mol, (2010), 'Water Price Reforms in China: Policy-making and Implementation', Water Resources Management 24, pp. 377-396