Learn why soil is very important, how it’s being threatened and what we can do to protect this natural resource so vital to our lives.
Length: 7 weeks
Effort: 8-10 hours per week
Content of the course
Soil is the earth’s fragile skin that anchors all life. We depend on soil to build our homes and cities, to grow crops for food and raise livestock, to support transportation and enable recreation. Yet we disregard this crucial and precious resource that lies right under our feet.
This introductory environmental studies course will explore the importance of soil to life on earth, the issues, processes and societal challenges underlying soil degradation – and what can be done to ensure sustainable soil management for the future. The threats to our soil span deforestation, erosion, overgrazing, use of agrochemicals, pollution and climate change. Learn what you can do to make a difference in protecting this vital natural resource.
What you will learn
- Why soils and sustainable soil management are so important to life on earth
- How soils form, their functions and basics of soil degradation
- Threats to and caring for: Soil water relations, soil fertility and soil biodiversity
- Effects of and solutions for: Soil erosion, soil pollution and soil salinization
- Socio-economic and policy aspects of sustainable soil management
- How you can help protect this critical natural resource
Meet the instructors
Other interesting MOOCs
Do you like this MOOC? Then you might also be interested in these MOOCs: