During your career, including the current context, you will interact with people from culturally diverse backgrounds. In academic contexts, these could include supervisors, colleagues, students and other stakeholders with cultural backgrounds different from your own. This cultural diversity should enrich your views and experiences, but it could sometimes lead to challenges; Is a yes really a yes?Is a deadline strict? Can you be sure that an agreement has been reached and that everyone is committed to it?
This course (2 workshops) will create an awareness and understanding of intercultural aspects, and the impact of your own unconscious cultural perceptions and unwritten rules with actions alongside expectations by other cultures.
The course will be focused on real-life experiences of intercultural situations in academia, all aiming to enable you successfully collaborate more efficiently, in addition to benefiting pleasuraby from diversely cultural contexts.
After completing the workshop, students will be able to recognise, handle, value, and enjoy diversity in multi-cultural settings by:
· understanding the ways cultures can differ in values that make the difference in cooperating;
· identifying own intercultural perceptions and lack of awareness;
· gaining ability to apply intercultural skills to practical work as a PhD, and learn to create a rewarding atmosphere of best practices;
· recognizing culturally related problems, and resolving them through application of several strategies;
· viewing diversity as a source of creativity in future careers;
· applying the course’s outcomes to project work, collaboration with supervisors, or interacting with stakeholders in diverse cultural contexts;
Early bird registration deadline: 25 September 2023
Regular registration deadline: 10 October 2023
PhD candidates and Postdocs.
|WUR PhDs with TSP||€170 (Early) / €220 (Regular)|
|SENSE PhDs with TSP||€170 (Early) / €220 (Regular)|
|Other PhDs||€340 (Early) / €390 (Regular)|
|Staff of WUR graduate schools||€340 (Early) / €390 (Regular)|
The course fee includes coffee, tea and lunch for the two days of the course.
The fee does not include accommodation, breakfast or dinner. Accommodation is not included in the fee of the course, but there are several possibilities in Wageningen. For information on B&B’s and hotels in Wageningen please visit proefwageningen.nl/overnachten. Another option is Short Stay Wageningen. Furthermore, Airbnb offers several rooms in the area. Note that besides the restaurants in Wageningen, there are also options to have dinner at Wageningen Campus.
- Up to 4 (four) weeks prior to the start of the course, cancellation is free of charge.
- Up to 2 (two) weeks prior to the start of the course, a fee of 50% of the full costs will be charged.
- In case of cancellation within ten or less days prior to the start of the course, or if you do not show at all, a total fee will be charged plus a fine of 100 euros.
Note: If you would like to cancel your registration, ALWAYS inform us. By NOT paying the participation fee, your registration is NOT automatically cancelled (and do note that you will be kept to the cancellation conditions).
Also note that when there are not enough participants, we can cancel the course. We will inform you if this is the case a week after the early bird deadline. Please take this into account when arranging your trip to the course (I.e. check the re-imburstment policies).